Relativity Questions and Frames (How fast....)

In summary, the spaceship must travel faster than the speed of light to reach the star Proxima Centauri in 4 years.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The International Space Agency is designing a spaceship to reach the star Proxima Centauri, 4 cyrs (light years) away so that the on-board crew will age 4 years from departure to arrival. How fast must the ship travel?

Homework Equations

t(moving clock) = t(stationary clock)*sqrt(1-V^2/c^2)

t(between ship light clock ticks to us) = 2D/(sqrt(c^2-V^2)) = t(between ticks of our own light clock)/(sqrt(1-V^2/c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

We must identify which frames we are in.

We are wondering how fast the ship must travel, V, to people on Earth.

The crew must age 4 years, so we take t' = 4 years, the time it takes for the crew to age (ship frame).

The ship must travel a distance of 4 c*yrs, which is in the Earth frame, so we say L = 4c*yrs.

This seems like insufficient information.

L = 4c*yrs
V = ?? unknown, need.
t = unknown
t' = 4 years
V' = ??
L' =?

I suppose, if I can say L' = 4 c*yrs, then I can say that the speed the ship is going at is c (speed of light), but then the equations start to break down so that seems like a dead end.

I know that the time of the clock on the ship must be a shorter time change than that of Earth frame.
Is there anything that I am stating as false?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Lorentz transformation:

##t' = \gamma(t - vx/c^2)##

Can you express t in terms of v and x? That would leave you with a quadratic equation to solve with only one unknown, v.

AM

Likes RJLiberator
[tex] t = t' \sqrt {1- \frac {v^2}{c^2}}+\frac {vx}{c^2} [/tex]

where
[tex] \gamma = \frac{1}{ \sqrt {1- \frac {v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

I'm not sure how there is only one unknown.

t' = 4 years.
v = unknown
x = 4 light years
but t = ?

RJLiberator said:
[tex] t = t' \sqrt {1- \frac {v^2}{c^2}}+\frac {vx}{c^2} [/tex]

I'm not sure how there is only one unknown.

t' = 4 years.
v = unknown
x = 4 light years
but t = ?

Think about it this way:

If they set off at, say, v = 0.1c, then they will take 40 years in the Earth frame and, even with a bit of length contraction and time dilation, they will take longer than 4 years in the ship frame (not much less than 40 years in fact).

If they set of at v = 0.999c, then they will take just over 4 years in the Earth frame. Given significant length contraction and time dilation, they will take a lot less than this in the ship frame.

So, somewhere in between there must be a velocity, ##v##, where the ship time will be exactly 4 years.

Everything depends on ##v## (including ##t## and ##t'##), so there is only one independent variable.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah now with these two posts I am acquiring understanding!

So, as noted in my previous post:

[tex]
t = t' \sqrt {1- \frac {v^2}{c^2}}+\frac {vx}{c^2}[/tex]

Now, since t' = 4 years, the time the ship crew age.
and t is dependent on v via

[tex] t = 4yrs \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2} {c^2}} [/tex]

we combine and see that

[tex]
4yrs \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2} {c^2}} = 4yrs \sqrt {1- \frac {v^2}{c^2}}+\frac {v4lyrs}{c^2}[/tex]

Now I try to solve this for v.

The problem is, by subtracting the LHS from both sides, I end up with v = 0.

Hm.

RJLiberator said:
So, as noted in my previous post:

t=t′√1−v2c2+vxc2​

I've got no idea what that ##x## is doing there. Why not start with:

##t = D/v##

Where ##D## is the proper distance to the star? Just like you would in boring old classical mechanics!

Likes RJLiberator
The x came to be from the Lorentz Contraction transformation here.

I see that [tex] t = D/v [/tex] where D = 4 light years and v is what we want to find.

So,

t' = 4 years.
t = 4 light years/ v
v = what we want to find

If I use the time equation we get

[tex] t' = t \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2} {c^2}} [/tex]

From here we plug in

[tex] 4yrs = 4 lyrs / v (\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2} {c^2}}) [/tex]

This leads to [tex] v = \sqrt{ \frac {c^2} {c^2+1}} [/tex]

v = 0.9999 light years/yr ?

that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

RJLiberator said:
This leads to [tex] v = \sqrt{ \frac {c^2} {c^2+1}} [/tex]

v = 0.9999 light years ?

I was going to say, in response to your previous post, that you may want to keep the equations algebraic for the time being and be careful about the units you use for this problem.

Likes RJLiberator
That's a good suggestion.

[tex]
t' = t \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2} {c^2}}[/tex]

Now divide both sides by t. [tex]
\frac{t'} {t} = \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2} {c^2}}[/tex]

Square both sides[tex]
\frac{t'^2} {t^2} = 1-\frac{v^2} {c^2}[/tex]

In putting t = D/v and solving for v we find[tex] v^2 = \frac{1} {\frac{t'^2}{D^2}+{\frac{1} {c^2}}}[/tex]

Square rooting both sides and letting D = 4 light years, t = 4 years we see an answer for v of

[tex] v = 0.9999 light years/year [/tex]

hm

RJLiberator said:
In putting t = D/v and solving for v we find

[tex] v^2 = \frac{1} {\frac{t'^2}{D^2}+{\frac{1} {c^2}}}[/tex]

The best thing to do with that is to simplify it to:

##\frac{v}{c} = \frac{D}{\sqrt{c^2(t')^2 + D^2}}##

When you have a distance ##D## in ##c.yrs## it's good idea to aim for ##D/c## in your equations, which gives a unit of years. So:

##\frac{v}{c} = \frac{D/c}{\sqrt{(t')^2 + (D/c)^2}}##

Now you have dimensionless quantities on both sides of the equation. Try this and see what you get.

Likes RJLiberator
Aha.

I finally get it. (I think)

The units have confused me greatly. I need more experience with light years and the like. The key for me now was in understanding that a light year divided by c = year.

So, after messing with the algebraic part of the problem for a while, I see that

[tex] \frac{v} {c} = \frac{\frac{4lyrs} {c}} {\sqrt{16 yrs^2+\frac{16lyrs^2} {c^2}}} [/tex]

This means
[tex] \frac {v} {c} = 0.707 [/tex]

Which means, the velocity of the ship is 0.707 c

RJLiberator said:
This means
[tex] \frac {v} {c} = 0.707 [/tex]

Which means, the velocity of the ship is 0.707 c

I prefer ##\frac{v}{c} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

Then, you can precisely calculate ##\gamma## and double-check your answer by calculating ##t'## for this value of ##v##.

Note that as you progress with SR, you'll find it more and more useful to express ##v## in this form.

Likes RJLiberator
I appreciate the help and the advice.

1. How fast do objects appear to move in different frames of reference?

The speed of an object can appear different depending on the frame of reference it is being observed from. For example, an object may appear to be moving at a slower speed if observed from a stationary frame, but may appear to be moving faster if observed from a moving frame. This is due to the principles of relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

2. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity extends these principles to non-inertial frames, such as those in accelerated motion or in the presence of gravitational fields.

3. How does time dilation work in relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This is a result of the theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

4. What is the twin paradox in relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity where one twin travels through space at near-light speed while the other twin remains on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged less than their stationary twin due to time dilation. This paradox highlights the effects of relativity on time and space.

5. How does mass and energy relate in relativity?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This concept is known as mass-energy equivalence and is a fundamental principle of relativity. It explains the relationship between mass, energy, and the speed of light, and has been verified through various experiments, such as nuclear reactions.