True to your intuitions or science?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of intuition and observation in relation to scientific theories and the importance of creativity and human ingenuity in the scientific process. It also touches on the relationship between math and observation in scientific research. The speaker emphasizes the need for a balance between theory and observation and highlights the importance of enjoying the process of science.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do your intuitions match what science tells you? there are many observations that seem
to be(iron cast) but would you speak up if your intuitions told you that some theory was wrong, would you go against the maths?
Does maths come before observation, or observation before maths?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You asked about intuition and then switched to observation.

If I can derive a definitive mathematical solution to a problem, I follow the math everytime - beyond any question. If I had to make assumptions in order to arrive at that answer, then of course those assumptions are subject to evaluation.

I think the question, "have we missed something?", almost always applies.

Last edited:
wolram said:
Do your intuitions match what science tells you? there are many observations that seem
to be(iron cast) but would you speak up if your intuitions told you that some theory was wrong, would you go against the maths?

Intuition comes from experience, so I don't think it would be much fun iif nothing unexpected ever came along. It also would not be much fun if only unexpected things ever came along.

The scientific method, as often taught, makes science seem like a turn-the-crank assembly line. It's not. Astonishing creativity could be required at any (or all) particular stage: designing a good experiment; lifting the signal from the noise; coming up with a good theory; etc. I can't emphasize enough the wonderful human ingenuity that scientists demonstrate.

Science is not performed by bloodless robots.

Arts people don't hold a monopoly on creativity (nor do science people).

When I teach, I sometimes refer to Newton's First Symphony, Second Symphony, and Third Symphony, as well as their more usual names.

So, teach the scientific method, but don't forget to mention this other stuff that sometimes goes unmentioned.

Theory sometime leads observation; observation sometime leads theory. It's a wonderful dance of give-and-take.

Last edited:
wolram said:

The math doesn't mean anything if I can't conceptualize it, which is why I dropped out at Partial Differential Quantum Buggery 300something. It was just no fun.

1. What is the role of intuition in science?

Intuition plays a crucial role in science as it allows scientists to generate new ideas and hypotheses. It also helps scientists make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts and data, leading to new insights and discoveries.

2. Is it better to trust your intuition or rely on scientific evidence?

Both intuition and scientific evidence are important in the scientific process. While intuition can spark new ideas, it is not enough to draw conclusions. Scientific evidence, on the other hand, provides empirical support for hypotheses and is necessary for validating theories.

3. Can intuition be scientifically studied?

Yes, intuition can be scientifically studied through various methods such as cognitive neuroscience, behavioral experiments, and surveys. These studies aim to understand how intuition works, what factors influence it, and how it can be improved.

4. How can scientists balance intuition and objectivity?

Scientists can balance intuition and objectivity by being aware of their biases and being open to challenging their own intuitions with scientific evidence. It is important for scientists to remain objective and follow the scientific method in order to draw reliable conclusions.

5. Is intuition always reliable in the scientific process?

No, intuition is not always reliable in the scientific process. While it can lead to new ideas and insights, it can also be influenced by personal biases and subjective interpretations. It is important for scientists to test their intuitions with empirical evidence to ensure the validity of their findings.