Trying to design a robotic joint.

In summary, this person is trying to create a setup where a 1kg weight can be rotated around a horizontal joint. They are looking for a way to minimize the torque required on a servo, while still maintaining precision.
dennis_n
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forums.

I wanted to ask your expertise on a project I'm working on.
I'm trying to design a setup where I rotate a ∏ shaped frame that has a 1kg load on the horizontal bar. The space between the frame should stay empty.
The length of the side rods may be up to 1 meter, with the ability to slide the horizontal bar up and down.
I need precise rotational motion so at first I thought let's go simple and attach a servo directly to the joint. Then I realized that the torque requirements would be tremendous at one meter away.
I'm on a budget here so I don't want to spend too much on a servo unless I really have to.
So what would be a setup that would minimize the torque requirements on the servo while keeping the precision? Timing belt and pulley? I'm not sure how this setup would work.
The weight (horizontal bar) has to rotate from 0 to 90 degrees around the joint.
It is important that the breaking between rotations, doesn't produce any bouncing.
I'm also trying to keep the machining requirements minimal cause I don't have much else than a drill and a saw.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you explain a bit more clearly?

If it's rotating about a vertical axis then it may only need a very low torque. That also depends on the acceleration. If it's a horizontal axis, calculate the torque required to overcome gravity. Once you have some estimated numbers you can compare to shafts, belts etc. to get a feel for what kind of drive might work.

"precise" could mean a lot of things. Maybe you need feedback somewhere else on the frame to allow it to bend?

Doesn't really seem like ANSYS would be much on a simple frame structure like this.

Unrest said:
Can you explain a bit more clearly?

If it's rotating about a vertical axis then it may only need a very low torque. That also depends on the acceleration. If it's a horizontal axis, calculate the torque required to overcome gravity. Once you have some estimated numbers you can compare to shafts, belts etc. to get a feel for what kind of drive might work.

"precise" could mean a lot of things. Maybe you need feedback somewhere else on the frame to allow it to bend?

Doesn't really seem like ANSYS would be much on a simple frame structure like this.

The whole setup is to to do spherical photography. Here is a quick model I made of the whole setup as I was thinking it originally.

Attachments

• mocap.jpg
    mocap.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 440
Because of the limited range of motion, you could also use a big pulley with a steel wire or chain fixed to it. Wind the other end of the loop around a drum on the servo/motor.

If you're not worried about speed you could also put a counterweight on the arm and that eliminates the torque problem. Drive it with anything depending on how accurately it's balanced.

A cheap way to prevent overshoot may be to use a mechanical or magnetic catch to grab the arm when it's at the end of it's path. Then release the catch and move again after any vibrations have died away.

1. How is a robotic joint designed?

A robotic joint is designed by first identifying the purpose of the joint and its intended range of motion. This is followed by selecting the appropriate materials and components, and then creating a detailed design using computer-aided design (CAD) software. The design is then tested and refined until it meets the desired specifications.

2. What materials are commonly used in robotic joint design?

The materials used in robotic joint design vary depending on the specific application and requirements. However, some commonly used materials include aluminum, steel, and titanium for the joint's structure, and polymers and composites for flexible and lightweight components.

3. How does a robotic joint achieve movement?

A robotic joint achieves movement through the use of motors, gears, and other mechanical components. These components work together to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion, allowing the joint to move and perform its intended function.

4. What factors need to be considered when designing a robotic joint?

When designing a robotic joint, factors such as weight, size, strength, and precision need to be considered. The joint must also be designed to withstand the forces and movements it will be subjected to, as well as the environment in which it will be used.

5. What are some challenges in designing robotic joints?

Some challenges in designing robotic joints include achieving a balance between flexibility and strength, ensuring precise and smooth movements, and designing for longevity and reliability. Additionally, the integration of different components and materials can also present challenges in designing a functional and efficient robotic joint.