Trying to find a school for BioMEMs research

1. So I would like to get into grad school and research BioMEMs but am having issues figuring out where to apply and whether or not I should.

A little background:
    I will be graduating in may with a degree in biomedical engineering from the U of MN. I currently have a 3.0 with a 3.26 in the last 60 credits and in addition I have done this with a learning disability and no accomidations. I taken the GRE and got a 680Q/520V. I have been reseaching thin films transducers getting some good research experience in the last year. Im in my late 20s and before going back to school 4 yrs ago I was doing auto body.

I really want to get a phd reseaching BioMEMS and more specifically lab on a chip. My disability has made getting top grade hard but I have been getting better and expect that my grades will keep increasing. Im definitly applying to UCLA and probally UC Irvine and possibly U of Maryland for biomedical and likly PennState for enginering science. I doubt I will get into them but would really like to. I need to figure out if there are some other school that may not be so selective but still have descent facilities and reseach. I dont care what type of engineering I do wether it be a EE, ME, BME or what ever as long as I get to do the right research.

So I am looking for advice as to how to approach this and are there maybe some schools that are a little less know but still might be descent to go to in my situation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mapes

Mapes 2,532
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may get some ideas if you look through recent issues of Lab on a Chip, J Micromech Microeng, and the proceedings of conferences like ┬ÁTAS.
  4. I have done a little of that and unfortunatly it always appears as though the research I would like to do is being done at a school that I dont think i will get into. I will definitly look some more though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?