Trying to learn physics for first time

In summary, basic Newtonian physics does not require calculus and is more broadly known as Classical Mechanics. If you are familiar with the material, there is value in reading an original text, but otherwise a modern text will suffice.
billyhigdon
hey smarty pants,

I'm trying to teach myself physics by what's on this site, but so far I feel like I'm missing something along the way. I'm taking Algebra @ college right now and not really having trouble with it, but should i learn calculus before attempting physics?

thank you,
.Billy

Physics news on Phys.org
Basic Newtonian physics does not require calculus. Better to pick up a beginning physics textbook and go through it. Ask questions you have on the book here.

Is basic Newtonian Physics also known as Classical Mechanics? Should I even attempt to read Principia Mathematica or find a simplified book on that topic?

When people say classical mechanics they are usually referring to stuff beyond introductory Newtonian mechanics, but the terminology isn't standardized and it can refer to Newtonian mechanics as well.

I don't think there is a lot of value in reading ancient original texts such as Principia. Scholars have taken that information and made it into a much more readable and learn-able format. If you already know the material and you're interested in history then you can probably find some value in reading original material, but otherwise you ought to stick to modern texts.

billyhigdon said:
Is basic Newtonian Physics also known as Classical Mechanics? Should I even attempt to read Principia Mathematica or find a simplified book on that topic?

Classical mechanics is a much broader field than Newtonian mechanics- it encompasses continua and fields in addition to point particles.

If you want to read the Pincipia, feel free to- but why not read a more modern text, one that has the benefit of 300+ years of additional insight? Newton is not the last word.

billyhigdon said:
Should I even attempt to read Principia Mathematica or find a simplified book on that topic?

Find a modern book on that topic. It doesn't have to be simplified. :smile:

The historical documents can be interesting, but they are most emphatically *NOT* a good place to learn the subject. The language and notation are very unusual to present day readers.

Cool, thank you for all the advice. I actually already found a book online called "Newtonian Physics" by Benjamin Crowell. I think I will start there and see where it takes me.

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics for the first time?

The best way to approach learning physics for the first time is to start with the basics and gradually build upon your knowledge. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before diving into physics concepts. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of scientific notation and units of measurement. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from teachers or tutors can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.

2. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only for "geniuses" or extremely intelligent individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic principles of physics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only applicable to grand, complex phenomena. In fact, physics can be applied to everyday situations and can help us better understand the world around us.

3. How can I make learning physics more interesting and engaging?

One way to make learning physics more interesting and engaging is to relate it to real-world applications and examples. By understanding how physics is relevant to our daily lives, it can become more relatable and interesting. Additionally, performing hands-on experiments and demonstrations can help solidify concepts and make learning more interactive.

4. What are some key concepts that I should focus on when learning physics for the first time?

Some key concepts to focus on when learning physics for the first time include kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, energy and work, and simple harmonic motion. These concepts are foundational and will help you understand more complex topics in the future.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning physics for the first time?

One way to stay motivated while learning physics for the first time is to set achievable goals and track your progress. Celebrate small victories and stay positive, even when facing challenges. Additionally, finding a study group or study partner can help keep you accountable and motivated. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.