Self-teaching Physics 1, 2, and 3 using MIT Open Courseware

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of self-learning Physics 1, 2, and 3 using MIT Open Courseware. The courses are complete college courses featuring full video lectures and materials from real courses. However, they may not have all the features of a traditional course, such as assignments and exams, so self-assessment is important. The purpose of the self-learning may be for personal enrichment or to prepare for future studies in quantum computing. Another suggestion for self-learning physics is to use textbooks such as the Schaum's Outline series or the IB Diploma Physics book.
Physics-aspirant
Hi, I am trying to teach myself Physics 1, 2, and 3. I tried learning using MIT Open Courseware. The courses which I tried taking are 8.01, 8.02, and 8.03. Are these courses in MIT Open Courseware a complete college course or just a brief overview of online courses in physics, as the video is usually only 3-4 minutes with a few pages of readings?

Here are the links to the courses I mentioned:

Physics 1 : https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-01sc-classical-mechanics-fall-2016/
Physics 2 : https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2019/
Physics 3 : https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-03sc-physics-iii-vibrations-and-waves-fall-2016/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes MichPod and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your math preparation?

gleem said:
What is your math preparation?
I completed Calculus 1 and 2 and will do Calculus 3 in about two months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gleem
Hill said:
These are MIT OCW physics courses featuring full video lectures: https://ocw.mit.edu/search/?d=Physics&f=Lecture Videos
All the link I provide are from MIT OCW. I want to know are this equivalence to real undergraduate courses as the video are short etc.

Physics-aspirant said:
All the link I provide are from MIT OCW. I want to know are this equivalence to real undergraduate courses as the video are short etc.
They are based on materials from real courses, but don't have all the real courses features.

Likes Math100
Hill said:
They are based on materials from real courses, but don't have all the real courses features.
Any recommendations on how to self-taught Physics I II and III to be equivalent with undergraduate studying them ?

Physics-aspirant said:
Any recommendations on how to self-taught Physics I II and III to be equivalent with undergraduate studying them ?
The best way to do this is to actually take the courses, I'm afraid.

One of the big challenges of self-teaching is the absence of qualified, external feedback. In a course you get this through marked assignments, labs, quizzes, and examinations. You have instructors whom you can ask specific questions to and work with until you understand things. Hand-in-hand with that, you have an objective means of demonstrating that you have, in fact, effectively covered the material. Students who try to apply to graduate school arguing they have self-taught physics courses don't make a lot of headway with admission committees.

Last edited:
Likes Math100, Vanadium 50 and PhDeezNutz
The lecture videos are short to break up the material into digestible chunks. The idea is likely that you watch the video and then are supposed to immediately work with the material that was just covered while it's still fresh in your mind. This approach tends to improve retention by inexperienced learners, i.e., freshmen.

Students tend to get as much out of a course as they put into it, so it's largely up to you what you get from the OCW courses. You can learn as much from them as you would from a traditional course. You can also learn much less. What you need to do is figure out how to assess your progress.

Likes PeroK
Physics-aspirant said:
Hi, I am trying to self-taught Physics 1 2 and 3.

For what purpose?

As a hobby, for mental exercise or to satisfy your curiosity?

Do you plan to take those courses (or their equivalents) at a real university, but don't want to come into them completely "cold"?

Are you hoping to use these self-study courses for credit towards a university physics degree? In this case, @Choppy's and @vela's comments about assessment are on target.

Likes Math100 and Vanadium 50
Physics-aspirant said:
Are these courses in MIT Open Courseware a complete college course
Yes. The videos are of MIT professors giving the same lectures they give on campus, and the rest of the course materials online are the same materials that are used on campus.

Physics-aspirant said:
the video is usually only 3-4 minutes with a few pages of readings?
More precisely, there is this for each lesson in the course. There are also exercises. A course is 12 to 13 weeks and each week typically contains 3 to 4 lessons. So you don't have just one 3-4 minute video with a few pages of readings and exercises for course: you have about 40 of them.

Likes Math100
jtbell said:
For what purpose?

As a hobby, for mental exercise or to satisfy your curiosity?

Do you plan to take those courses (or their equivalents) at a real university, but don't want to come into them completely "cold"?

Are you hoping to use these self-study courses for credit towards a university physics degree? In this case, @Choppy's and @vela's comments about assessment are on target.
I would said that I use to dislike physics. But having a career in computer science, I want to try quantum computing in future. I didn't take any physics class in grade 11 and 12. So I plan on learning these three courses and then move to quantum mechanics.

This does not sound like a plan for success.

8.01 assumes the student has had physics in high school. You;d be starting in the middle.
If you want to get to quantum mechanics, that's 8.01, 8.02, 8.04 and 8.05 (8.03 may or may not be skippable) plus your catch-up higfh school course (2 semesters). This is pretty linear, so it's about three years of work. If you can keep up the same pace as a full-time MIT student.

Do you have years to spend? Or does it make more sense to approach this from the CS side?

Vanadium 50 said:
This does not sound like a plan for success.

8.01 assumes the student has had physics in high school. You;d be starting in the middle.
If you want to get to quantum mechanics, that's 8.01, 8.02, 8.04 and 8.05 (8.03 may or may not be skippable) plus your catch-up higfh school course (2 semesters). This is pretty linear, so it's about three years of work. If you can keep up the same pace as a full-time MIT student.

Do you have years to spend? Or does it make more sense to approach this from the CS side?
Any recommend better approach from CS side ?

We have several people here - at least three - who want the benefit of years of study, without putting in the years. It doesn't sound like its working for any of them. King Ptolemy was looking for one over 2000 years ago - but Euclid told him that there is no royal road to mathematics,.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics-aspirant said:
Any recommend better approach from CS side ?
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/18-435j-quantum-computation-fall-2003/

You don't need a deep understanding of the physics of quantum mechanics to be a QC expert any more than you need a deep understanding of the physics of classical field theory to be a digital computing expert.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics-aspirant said:
So I should start with this course ?
You probably need Calculus 3 first. The 'Bible' for QC is Nielsen and Chuang, which is the book Peter Schor uses for the MIT course, it gets quite heavy on maths quite quickly. Take a look at the first week's assignment and see if you think you are ready.

Alternatively look at something with a more directly practical focus such as https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/quantum/concepts-overview

It's good that the OP seems to have reconsidered approaching this from the CS side. One should look carefully at the syllabus, though.
  • They say linear algebra is required. MIT is serious about their prereqs.
  • They say an understanding of QM is "helpful but not required". That usually means "you're responsible for picking up what you need on your own" and "the prof won't slow down so the people who didn't take it can catch up.
  • The materials is 20 years old. Be aware of that.

Likes Math100 and pbuk

1. What is MIT Open Courseware and how can I use it to self-teach Physics?

MIT Open Courseware is a free online platform that provides access to course materials from various subjects, including Physics. You can use it to self-teach Physics by accessing lecture notes, assignments, and exams from MIT's Physics courses and following along with the course content.

2. Is it possible to learn Physics effectively through self-teaching using MIT Open Courseware?

Yes, it is possible to learn Physics effectively through self-teaching using MIT Open Courseware. The platform provides comprehensive and high-quality course materials, and you can also find additional resources and support online to supplement your learning.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience in Physics to use MIT Open Courseware for self-teaching?

While having some background knowledge in Physics may be helpful, it is not necessary to have any prior experience to use MIT Open Courseware for self-teaching. The course materials are designed to be accessible to learners of all levels.

4. Can I receive any certification or credit for self-teaching Physics through MIT Open Courseware?

No, MIT Open Courseware does not provide any certification or credit for self-teaching Physics. However, you can use the knowledge and skills gained through self-teaching to prepare for standardized exams or to enhance your understanding of Physics for personal or professional development.

5. Are there any limitations to self-teaching Physics through MIT Open Courseware?

One limitation of self-teaching Physics through MIT Open Courseware is that you will not have access to in-person instruction or feedback from a professor. However, you can still engage with the course materials and seek support from online communities or discussion forums to enhance your learning experience.