Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to measure gauge pressure in a water pipe (under 1 psi)

  1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to measure and regulate gauge pressure in a pipe that has water flowing through it, but I need the pressure to be about .75psi (1.8 ft H2O).
    Most dial gauge ranges are too high and not accurate enough.
    Pressure transducers Ive had no luck with as far as finding one thats inexpensive and measures accurately under 1 psi for water.
    Using a liquid column would be too high for water (2 ft).
    So any ideas, products or guidance?

    I have no problems using an analog transducer that outputs voltage if that's a good option.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

  4. Apr 30, 2013 #3
  5. Apr 30, 2013 #4
    How about a U tube manometer filled with a denser liquid (possibly highly salinated water with food colouring to show the interface.)
  6. Apr 30, 2013 #5

    jim hardy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Blood pressure cuffs have a little gage that indicates mm of mercury.

    1psi is about 51.7 mm hg

    You'll want the sense line filled with water and sloping up all the way to pipe so air bubbles aren't trapped.

    And you'll adjust reading of gage for its distance below pipe centerline.

    The electronic sensor in a home monitor might be something you could scrounge. Those instruments show up in thrift shops.

    That's a not uncommon range for industrial sensors but they cost hundreds of dollars.

    A component like this is around thirty-five bucks at Digikey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Trying to measure gauge pressure in a water pipe (under 1 psi)