Trying to measure gauge pressure in a water pipe (under 1 psi)

In summary, the conversation discusses different options for measuring and regulating gauge pressure in a pipe with water flowing through it. The speaker is looking for a solution that is inexpensive and accurate for pressures under 1 psi. Suggestions include using a digital manometer or a U tube manometer filled with a denser liquid, as well as potentially repurposing a sensor from a home monitor or purchasing a component specifically designed for industrial use.
Mike415
I'm trying to measure and regulate gauge pressure in a pipe that has water flowing through it, but I need the pressure to be about .75psi (1.8 ft H2O).
Most dial gauge ranges are too high and not accurate enough.
Pressure transducers I've had no luck with as far as finding one that's inexpensive and measures accurately under 1 psi for water.
Using a liquid column would be too high for water (2 ft).
So any ideas, products or guidance?

I have no problems using an analog transducer that outputs voltage if that's a good option.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a U tube manometer filled with a denser liquid (possibly highly salinated water with food colouring to show the interface.)

Blood pressure cuffs have a little gage that indicates mm of mercury.

1psi is about 51.7 mm hg

You'll want the sense line filled with water and sloping up all the way to pipe so air bubbles aren't trapped.

And you'll adjust reading of gage for its distance below pipe centerline.

The electronic sensor in a home monitor might be something you could scrounge. Those instruments show up in thrift shops.

That's a not uncommon range for industrial sensors but they cost hundreds of dollars.

A component like this is around thirty-five bucks at Digikey.
http://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/e_download/control/sensor/pressure/catalog/bltn_eng_psa.pdf?via=ok

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=ADP5121&vendor=255

Related to Trying to measure gauge pressure in a water pipe (under 1 psi)

1. How do you measure gauge pressure in a water pipe under 1 psi?

To measure gauge pressure in a water pipe under 1 psi, you will need a pressure gauge that is sensitive enough to measure such low pressures. You will also need to ensure that the water flow in the pipe is steady and there are no air pockets present.

2. What is the unit of measurement for gauge pressure in a water pipe?

The unit of measurement for gauge pressure in a water pipe is pounds per square inch (psi). However, other units such as kilopascal (kPa) and bar (bar) may also be used.

3. Can I use a regular pressure gauge to measure under 1 psi?

No, a regular pressure gauge is not sensitive enough to accurately measure under 1 psi. You will need a specialized gauge or a digital pressure gauge that can measure low pressures.

4. Why is it important to measure gauge pressure in a water pipe under 1 psi?

Measuring gauge pressure in a water pipe under 1 psi is important for various reasons. It can help detect leaks, ensure proper water flow, and prevent damage to the pipe or surrounding infrastructure.

5. What are some factors that can affect gauge pressure measurement in a water pipe?

Some factors that can affect gauge pressure measurement in a water pipe include temperature, elevation, and the material and diameter of the pipe. It is important to consider these factors when taking measurements to ensure accuracy.