Trying to prove this equality involving a summation of a binomial coefficient.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jdinatale
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
I immediately thought of induction, so that is what I used, but I can't seem to make any progress past a certain point.

1-1.png


2-1.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jdinatale! :smile:

(i haven't looked at your induction proof , but …)

why not just multiply the LHS by n+1 ? :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
hi jdinatale! :smile:

(i haven't looked at your induction proof , but …)

why not just multiply the LHS by n+1 ? :wink:

Ok, I tried that and I eventually could not go any further. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

3-1.png
 
hi jdinatale! :smile:

in the third line you have ∑k=0…j j+1Ck+1

put m = k+1, that's ∑m=1…j+1 j+1Cm …

what is that? :wink:​
 
tiny-tim said:
hi jdinatale! :smile:

in the third line you have ∑k=0…j j+1Ck+1

put m = k+1, that's ∑m=1…j+1 j+1Cm …

what is that? :wink:​

Brilliant! I've solved the problem now, thank you so much. But please tell me, how did you possibly know to do that? That was not obvious to me at all, and I'm not sure how you would just know to do that.
 
easy! :smile:

the clue was in the question …

the RHS said 2n+1,

which i know is ∑ n+1Cr :wink:​