1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to set these equations up

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    I've been working on math this morning, and these two equations I can't figure out. I have a test tomorrow and want to understand how to set them up in case theyre on the test.
    Equation 1
    Uranium 235 is used as fuel for some nuclear reactors. It has a half-life of 710 million years. How long will it take 10 grams of uranium 235 to decay to 1 gram? --- answer is 2,360 million years

Equation 2
    You are trying to determine the half-life of a new radioactive element you have isolated. You start with 1 gram, and 2 days later you determine that it has decayed down to 0.7 grams. What is its half-life? --- answer is 3.89 days

I've been trying various ways of setting these up with pe^rt and A(.999879)^t and simplifying with logs to no avail. If someone can help me please do!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get ".999879"? The one thing that is directly given in each problem is "A".

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    It's a general equation that the book gives. The entire thing reads C(t) = A(0.999879)^t

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4
    The general form of the equation would be N(t) = N(0)e-t*ln2/T, where T is the half-life, and N(0) is the number of atoms at time t = 0. So for each one, you have all the information you need.

6. Sep 12, 2011 #5
    How would you set it up though?? I know I have all the information I just can't figure out where to put the information. For the first equation if I put 0 in for t the equation doesnt work out...if I put e-(10)*ln2/710 that doesnt work either.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. Sep 12, 2011 #6
    After a lot of hard work, I finally managed to figure out equation one.

I realize now daveb gave me the equation, but I didn't understand it.

So the equation would read: 1/10 = e^-([ln2]/710)t => ln(1/10) = -([ln2]/710)t => t = ln(1/10)/-([ln2]/710) = 2,360

I still am trying to figure out equation 2 but am confused

8. Sep 12, 2011 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

Use the equation that daveb gave again:
    N(t) = N(0)e-t*ln2/T

You're given that if t = 2, N(t) = 0.7. Solve for T. (While he said that N(0) = number of atoms at t = 0, it doesn't have to be in terms of atoms. It could be in terms of moles, or grams.)

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8
    THANK YOU! I never even thought of setting it up like that. I just get confused because theres so many equations, and it isn't explained thoroughly enough in class, as well as the examples the book gives aren't very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook