1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive samples and differential equations

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A certain nuclear plant produces radioactive waste in the form of strontium-90 at the constant rate of 500kg. The waste decays exponentially with a half-life of 28 years. How much of this radioactive waste from the nuclear plant will be present after the following increments of time? Assume that initially 600kg of strontium-90 is in the nuclear plant.

a. N years
    b. 140 years
    c. To perpetuity

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution

I found that the "rate in" was 500kg/year, and i'm not sure about the "rate out" (rate of depletion of the sample).

We are given that the sample decays exponentially, so we should have that y(t) = yo e-0.02475t. We can assume that yo is just y (the radioactive sample that is decaying). Then, the rate of depletion would be (I doubt that this is true):

y'(t) = -0.2475ye-0.02475t

This is because this is the rate of change of the sample. Then, i set up my differential equation to be the following (k is just the constant k = (ln2)/(half life)):

dm/dt = 500 - kme-kt

I rearranged the terms into the form dm/dt - P(x)y = f(t), i came up that the integrating factor was actually e-e^(-kt)), but this is not true (while differentiating the function I realized that it it was a completely new expression that was different to the one shown).

How can I proceed from this information or have i made a wrong set-up to the exercise?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The decay rate depends on the current amount in the store.
    That is what "exponential decay" means.

If y is the mass of 90Sr then:

$$\frac{dy}{dt} = -\lambda y$$

see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_decay

The constant ##\lambda## is related to the half-life.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. Oct 29, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The differential equation has to be :

dm/dt=500-km,

as the amount of Sr-90 increase by 500 kg/year, and decreases proportionally with the amount present, that is by km. Solve, and fit the integration constant to the initial condition m(0)=600 kg.

ehild

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4
    I see. So the only way of doing this exercise is knowing the definition? Or is there a non definition way?

As well, the constant in the linear rate term (rate of decay) is just the k constant found in the exponent right?

6. Oct 29, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The only way to do a problem is to understand what the words mean - yeah.

If you don't know, you should solve the differential equation to find out what the constant is.

Have you not done a section of coursework that covers radioactive decay?

7. Oct 29, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is true with a sample decaying only - with no input. Now you have input at constant rate. It is true that the rate of decay is proportional to the amount present : -0.2475y, but there is also input 500 kg/year. So the net rate of change of the amount of Sr-90 is dm/dt=500-0.2475m.

ehild

8. Oct 29, 2013 #7
    I have, but i just wanted to make sure if i'm correct or not (I'm sorry! I don't want to commit the same mistakes again).

I was thinking, as the rate of depletion is ry0e-rt, can we just say that it should be ry? (consider that m, the mass of the radioactive sample, is defined as y = y0e-rt).

After having this information it should just be a simple variables separable problem to get to the final answer. Say, if we had that the input wasn't constant (suppose it was 600t), then we would have to deal with a first order linear differential equation?

Thank you for your great patience Simon.

9. Oct 30, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rate of depletion is is ry, but y is not equal y0e-rt.

We deal with a first order linear differential equation anyway.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted