1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand proofs, help me solve this one!

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    Suppose that [itex]f, g : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] are surjective (ie onto functions with domain [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and allowable output values [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]). Prove that [itex]f \circ g[/itex] is also surjective (ie, prove [itex]f \circ g[/itex] is also onto).

First of all, I have absolutely no math theory experience, so I don't really understand what's being asked for here.

I know that ℝ is the set of all real numbers, but I'm not sure what ℝ → ℝ represents.

Can someone explain to me the mathematical terms and give me a breakdown of how this problem would be solved?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2
    f being an onto function means that for every real number y there exists x such that f(x) =y.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    [itex]f \colon A \to B[/itex] means a function with name [itex]f[/itex] from the domain [itex]A[/itex] into the codomain [itex]B[/itex]. For instance, consider the function [itex]f\colon \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}\times \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by the rule [itex]f(x) = (x,x)[/itex]. In this example the domain (e.g., the set [itex]x[/itex] is in) is the real line [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and the codomain is the set [itex]\mathbb{R}\times \mathbb{R}[/itex], e.g., the 2D plane. This function is not onto though, because there are points [itex](a,b) \in \mathbb{R}\times \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that there is no [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] with [itex]f(x) = (a,b)[/itex]. To prove this, let [itex]a, b[/itex] be real with [itex]a \neq b[/itex] and assume [itex]f(x) = (a,b)[/itex]. Since [itex]f(x) = (x,x) = (a,b)[/itex] must hold, then [itex]x = a[/itex] and [itex]x = b[/itex] must also be true, but [itex]a \neq b[/itex] so it cannot. The only parts of the codomain that are hit are those on the line [itex]y = x[/itex] which can be written as [itex]L = \{(a,a)\colon a \in \mathbb{R}\}[/itex]. In this case [itex]L[/itex] is the range of [itex]f[/itex] (it's also called the image of [itex]f[/itex]), which is always a subset of the codomain.

However, the function [itex]g\colon \mathbb{R} \to L[/itex] defined by the rule [itex]g(x) = f(x) = (x,x)[/itex] is onto. To prove this, let [itex](a,a) \in L[/itex]. Then we see [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex](a,a) = g(a)[/itex]. Since the element [itex](a,a)[/itex] chosen from [itex]L[/itex] was arbitrary, we see that [itex]g\colon \mathbb{R} \to L[/itex] is an onto function. In this case the range and the codomain of the function [itex]g[/itex] are the same: namely, [itex]L[/itex].

This is really all you need to do in your problem: pick an arbitrary point [itex]z[/itex] in the codomain of [itex]f \circ g[/itex] and find a [itex]y[/itex] in the domain of [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f(y) = z[/itex]. Then find an [itex]x[/itex] in the domain of [itex]g[/itex] such that [itex]g(x) = y[/itex]. E.g., you find an [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]g(x) = y[/itex] and [itex]f(y) = z[/itex] so that [itex]f(g(x)) = z[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook