Tug Between Two People On Friction-less Ice.

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the center of mass for a system at rest is the point where the net force acting on the system is zero. If one of the masses in the system changes its position, then the center of mass will change too.
Bashyboy
Okay, suppose we have two people, one being 50 kg and the other being 100 kg; they are separated by 600 m, with each person holding on the end of a rope of negligible mass. Why is it, that when one of the two people creates a tension in the string, they meet at their center of mass?

Also, how my friend solved a problem similar to this one, was that he said since the one person is half as heavy, that person will travel twice as far; so, 2x + x = 600 m.

Why do both of these methods work? Could someone fill in the reasoning behind each method, please? I'd like to understand why both work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself: How can you calculate the location of the center of mass? Can the location of the center of mass change?

It would seem like if the two people approached it other, then the center of mass would change.

Bashyboy said:
It would seem like if the two people approached it other, then the center of mass would change.
Consider it more generally. Imagine a system at rest. For the center of mass to start moving, what is required?

Oooh, would it be that one of the people has to start moving, and only one?

Bashyboy said:
Oooh, would it be that one of the people has to start moving, and only one?
Well, that would do it. But it's not what I was going for. What is required for a system to accelerate?

It would be a force.

Bashyboy said:
It would be a force.
Right. In order for the center of mass of a system to accelerate, there needs to be a net force on the system. An external force. But here there are no such forces available, since the ice is frictionless.

Hmm, okay, I see. So, how can I apply that knowledge to the two different methods of solving a problem like this, to understand the reasoning behind them?

Bashyboy said:
Hmm, okay, I see. So, how can I apply that knowledge to the two different methods of solving a problem like this, to understand the reasoning behind them?
Well, the first method is already done. Since there are no external forces acting, the only place they can meet is at the center of mass.

As far as the second method goes: If the 100 kg person moved 1 m to the left, how far must the 50 kg person move to keep the center of mass unchanged?

I would guess two meters. But how can I justify that?

Bashyboy said:
I would guess two meters. But how can I justify that?
What's the definition of the center of mass? How would you calculate it?

For one dimensional motion: [itex]x_{cm}= \Large\frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2+m_3x_3+ \cdots m_nx_n}{m_1+m_2+m_3+ \cdots m_n}[/itex]. And the center of mass would be constant?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
For one dimensional motion: [itex]x_{cm}= \Large\frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2+m_3x_3+ \cdots m_nx_n}{m_1+m_2+m_3+ \cdots m_n}[/itex]. And the center of mass would be constant?
Good. Now write it in terms of Δx for two masses. Then you can relate Δx1 to Δx2.

Oh, so if I know the center of mass, and I know the change in position of one of the people, then I can find the corresponding change in position of the other person, so that the center of mass remains the same, is that right?

Bashyboy said:
Oh, so if I know the center of mass, and I know the change in position of one of the people, then I can find the corresponding change in position of the other person, so that the center of mass remains the same, is that right?
Exactly.

You can also think about it in the form of Newton's laws of motion:

[tex]a_1m_1=F=-a_2m_2[/tex]

If [itex]m_1[/itex] is twice the mass of [itex]m_2[/itex], then [itex]a_2[/itex] must be twice the acceleration of [itex]a_1[/itex] (but in the opposite direction).

Okay, I believe I understand. Thank you both for your insight.

1. What is the "tug between two people on friction-less ice?"

The tug between two people on friction-less ice refers to the force that occurs when two individuals are trying to move in opposite directions on a surface with no friction, such as ice. This results in a push and pull action, causing both individuals to lose their balance and slide in the direction of the force.

2. Why is friction-less ice important in this scenario?

Friction-less ice is important in this scenario because it eliminates any resistance between the two individuals, making it easier for them to slide in opposite directions and creating the tug between them. If there were friction, the force would not be as strong and the individuals would not slide as easily.

3. What factors can affect the strength of the tug between two people on friction-less ice?

The strength of the tug between two people on friction-less ice can be affected by various factors, including the weight and strength of the individuals, the speed at which they are moving, and the surface area of their contact with the ice. The surface conditions of the ice, such as its smoothness and temperature, can also play a role in the strength of the tug.

4. How does the direction of the tug affect the movement of the two people?

The direction of the tug greatly affects the movement of the two individuals. If the tug is in a diagonal direction, it will cause the individuals to slide at an angle in opposite directions. However, if the tug is in a horizontal direction, it will cause the individuals to slide in opposite directions in a straight line.

5. Can the tug between two people on friction-less ice be prevented?

No, the tug between two people on friction-less ice cannot be completely prevented. However, individuals can minimize its effect by crouching down and spreading their arms out to increase their surface area on the ice and reduce the force of the tug. Additionally, wearing non-slip footwear can also help prevent sliding on friction-less ice.