Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tunguska event attributed to global warming

1. Mar 17, 2006 #1

He says a rise in temperature, which began between 1906 and 1909, is not caused by rising CO2, but is attributable to the Tunguska Event, which rocked a remote part of Siberia, northwest of Lake Baikal on the 30th June 1908.

The Tunguska Event, is thought to have resulted from an asteroid or comet entering the earth's atmosphere and exploding. The event released as much energy as fifteen one-megaton atomic bombs. As well as blasting an enormous amount of dust into the atmosphere, felling 60 million trees over an area of more than 2000 square kilometres. Shaidurov suggests that this explosion would have caused "considerable stirring of the high layers of atmosphere and change its structure." Such meteoric disruption was the trigger for the subsequent rise in global temperatures.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Funny, this came to my attention a few days ago.

Some additional commentary - http://www.physorg.com/news11710.html

And this particular matter has been mentioned on JunkScience.com, but I have to wonder about the reliability of the site.

I also have to wonder about the validity of Shaidurov's theory. How has it been tested?

What about the cooling that took place after the Krakatoa eruption in 1883? Ostensibly, the effect only lasted about 5 years - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa#Long-term_effects ? Would the Tunguska event be more significant? If so, why?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  4. Mar 17, 2006 #3
    One should also note that Tunguska size events are thought to be relatively commonplace i.e. of the order of once per century. Also a similar event is now thought to have occured in South America in the 1930s. That does not seem to have generated a comparable signature.
    It is certainly an interesting thought, but I should like to see something additional to substantiate it, such as some good atmospheric modelling mimicing the change.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?