Turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery

In summary: You might be able to find a similar design for less money, but it would be less efficient and smaller.
akshaykhiladi
hey guys,
i m new here, i m working at recovering waste heat from exhaust from an automobile using a heat exchanger and then turning a turbine using a working fluid such as steamor refrigerant but still mnot sure which turbine will be suitable for me to use considering the dimensions of the vehicle.
i will be highly obliged to get some suggestions

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are dealing with what is called “low quality heat.” Simply put, this can represent a huge amount of energy, but since it is at such a low temperature you cannot practically extract much of it. As an extreme example, the ocean has a significant temperature difference between the surface and depths. It is therefore possible in theory to extract a huge amount of energy from the ocean; nobody has yet found a practical and profitable means of doing this.

In large gas turbines, they extract a great deal of useful energy from the exhaust and the intercoolers in various combined cycle systems. Each time they extract energy in stages, the exhaust gets cooler. Then finally it is still hot, but not hot enough to practically extract more energy. This final exhaust is also “low quality heat.”

But some plants have pushed the definition of “low quality” down to lower and lower temperatures, so that the final exhaust can now be at a lower temperature than in the past. They do this with various closed cycle mostly organic working fluids that boil at lower temperatures than water. Perhaps you could package a system based on Lithium-Bromide to be useful for your application. But don’t expect the product to be cheap.

Perhaps a turbine might be useful for your design. But if you pick the right working fluid, you might be better served by a commercially available pneumatic motor instead.

the size of turbine must be as small so that can be fitted . i expect it top be around 7 to 8 inches .
please suggest

are quasiturbines a solution for me ?

I don't know what a quasiturbine is.

Perhaps you mean a micro turbine. Lots are in use in many applications that physical size and smaller. But they are expensive enough so as not to be practical for the amount of heat available to recover from an automobile.

Think of a common turbocharger. It is basically a cheap and less efficient micro turbine.

What is a "Turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery"?

A turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery is a type of turbine that is designed to capture and utilize the waste heat that is produced by exhaust gases from an industrial process or power generation. This waste heat is then used to generate additional power, increasing the overall efficiency of the system.

How does a turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery work?

A turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery works by directing the hot exhaust gases through a series of vanes or blades, which causes the turbine to spin. This spinning motion is then used to power a generator, producing electricity. The remaining exhaust gases are then released into the atmosphere, significantly cooler than before.

What are the benefits of using a turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery?

The main benefit of using a turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery is the increased efficiency of the overall system. By utilizing waste heat that would otherwise be released into the environment, this type of turbine can generate additional power without the need for additional fuel. This results in cost savings and reduces the environmental impact of the process or power generation.

Are there any limitations to using a turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery?

While turbines suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery offer many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. These turbines may not be suitable for all types of industrial processes or power generation systems, and the technology may not be cost-effective for smaller scale operations. Additionally, the efficiency of these turbines may decrease over time as the exhaust gases cool.

Is a turbine suitable for exhaust waste heat recovery the only option for utilizing waste heat?

No, there are other technologies available for utilizing waste heat, such as heat exchangers and organic Rankine cycles. The best option for a specific application will depend on various factors, such as the temperature and volume of waste heat produced, and the cost-effectiveness of the technology. It is important to evaluate all options before deciding on a specific system.