Turbo-Jet Engine for Medium RC Aircraft

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a small turbo-jet engine to power an RC aircraft that can carry medical supplies. The person is seeking advice on whether it is feasible and what materials should be used for the frame. They also ask for suggestions on the design of the engine and how to build it. The expert recommends learning from YouTube videos and joining RC forums for more guidance. They also caution against starting with a gas turbine engine without prior experience flying RC planes.
Arnendu Barman
Hello , I am thinking to work on a RC aircraft ( Airplane ) that can load a small supply of Medical Firstaid in small range. So I need to make it fast and stable. So I'm thinking to use a small Turbo-jet engine in it which will be home-made. Please suggest me -- (1) Is that makes any sense ? (2) If I use jet-engine in it, it will produce much heat that can melt the frame of the RC aircraft.. So what material should I use to make the frame? (3) Suggestions on the design of the Turbo-Jet engine (4) Which materials do I need to build it and How to build it ..
Your suggestions are highly expected ..
Thanking you
Arnendu

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I just checked and found 158000 videos on youtube for RC "jet engine" you can learn from those.

You will need a lot of skills and machine tools to build your own.

Have you though about range? Usually, higher speeds mean shorter range.

Have you thought about control beyond your line-of-sight? If you let it fly far away, how will you land it? Most RC controllers have only a short range.

You can probably learn more on RC aircraft forums than you can here.

Good luck

Likes berkeman
If you have never built and flown an RC plane then do not start with a gas turbine! Find a model club an ask someone if you can have a go. It is not as easy as it looks. Most new pilots _will_ crash their aircraft in seconds if they try and fly without instruction. Using a gas turbine engine means you will just crash faster.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a Turbo-Jet Engine?

A Turbo-Jet Engine is a type of jet engine that uses a continuous combustion process to generate thrust for an aircraft. It works by compressing air, mixing it with fuel, and igniting it to create high pressure, high velocity exhaust gases that propel the aircraft forward.

2. How does a Turbo-Jet Engine work?

A Turbo-Jet Engine works by pulling in large amounts of air through an intake, compressing it in a compressor, and mixing it with fuel in a combustion chamber. The mixture is then ignited by a spark, creating a controlled explosion that produces hot, high-pressure gases. These gases then exit the engine through a nozzle, creating thrust that moves the aircraft forward.

3. What are the advantages of using a Turbo-Jet Engine for medium RC aircraft?

Turbo-Jet Engines are known for their high power-to-weight ratio, meaning they can produce a lot of thrust in relation to their weight. This makes them ideal for use in medium RC aircraft, as they can provide enough power to lift and maneuver the aircraft with ease. They also have a simple design and are relatively easy to maintain.

4. What are the limitations of a Turbo-Jet Engine for medium RC aircraft?

One of the main limitations of a Turbo-Jet Engine for medium RC aircraft is their high fuel consumption. They require a continuous supply of fuel to maintain their high speeds, making them less efficient compared to other types of engines. They also produce a lot of noise and heat, which can be a concern for some users.

5. How do I choose the right Turbo-Jet Engine for my medium RC aircraft?

When choosing a Turbo-Jet Engine for your medium RC aircraft, it's important to consider factors such as the size and weight of your aircraft, the type of fuel it uses, and the level of power you need. You should also consider the cost and availability of spare parts for the engine. It's recommended to do some research and consult with experts before making a decision.