1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turn Envelope Wave into one Sine Wave

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,
    The sum of two sine waves that have close frequencies can produce an Envelope Wave:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_(waves)

What formula can I use to turn it into one wave (i.e. one frequency and amplitude)?

Example pic attached:
    The blue "Envelope Wave" is actually 2 sine waves combined.
    And the green sine wave is what I really want.

Finally, I am curious to know the proper keywords that would have allowed me to find this formula on Google, or are there not any?

Thank-you very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There is a little better wikipedia page to understand this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics [Broken])

When you add two sinusoids like that, you can express the resultant waveform as the multiplication of two other sinusoids -- one at the sum frequency (the green one in your plot) and one at the difference frequency (the beat frequency).

So to answer your question, the green waveform is at the sum of the two original frequencies, and the peak amplitude is the peak of the overall waveform.

Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    Yes that does, and thanks for the link too.
    I was thinking it was really that simple (that's what I did), but I wanted to be sure.

As for Google, the keywords for me would have been "sum and difference frequencies".

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook