Turning 2nd order into 1st order

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a first order equation involving derivatives and integrating factors. After substituting variables and manipulating the equation, an integrating factor is used to simplify the equation to a first order ODE. By solving for the integrating factor and using initial conditions, the final solution is obtained. The solution is then compared to a previously calculated formula.
WelshDave
Good day all

I am struggling with this one.

m (d^2 h)/(dt^2 )+k dh/dt=-mg

use v=dh/dt in place to turn 2nd order into 1st order

so from this i have got

(d^2 h)/(dt^2 )= -g-(v/m)

Is this a first order equation? If so can somebody point me to solve the equation when m=80, k=8.7, v(0)=0ms-1.

Any pointers/ help would be most welcome.

thanks Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are going to use:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dh}{dt}=v\)

then:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2h}{dt^2}=\frac{dv}{dt}\)

And your original ODE becomes (after dividing through by $m$):

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}+\frac{1}{m}v=-g\)

This is now a first order ODE and you can use an integrating factor to solve.

I've used the formula

N(y)dy=M(X)dx first order separable ODE

dvdt+(1/m)v=−g

I'm guessing that should be

dv/dt+(k/m)v= -g

k=8.7
m= 80
v(0)=0

worked out a long formula and got,

v(t)= -1/87e^-(87t/800)(7848e^(87t/800)-7848)

Can you advise it that is correct. I looks right to me.

Okay, we have (I left off $k$ before):

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}v=-g\)

If we multiply through by an integrating factor of:

\(\displaystyle \mu(t)=e^{\frac{kt}{m}}\)

We then obtain:

\(\displaystyle e^{\frac{kt}{m}}\frac{dv}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}e^{\frac{kt}{m}}v=-ge^{\frac{kt}{m}}\)

The LHS may now be rewritten as the derivative of a product:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(e^{\frac{kt}{m}}v\right)=-ge^{\frac{kt}{m}}\)

Integrating through w.r.t $t$, there results:

\(\displaystyle e^{\frac{kt}{m}}v=C-\frac{mg}{k}e^{\frac{kt}{m}}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=Ce^{-\frac{kt}{m}}-\frac{mg}{k}\)

Now, if we take $v(0)=v_0$, we find:

\(\displaystyle C-\frac{mg}{k}=v_0\implies C=v_0+\frac{mg}{k}\)

And so we now have:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=\left(v_0+\frac{mg}{k}\right)e^{-\frac{kt}{m}}-\frac{mg}{k}\)

Now, plugging in for the given constants we find:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=\frac{7840}{87}\left(e^{-\frac{87t}{800}}-1\right)\)

This is close to what you have...you have 7848 where I have 7840. :)

1. What does it mean to turn 2nd order into 1st order?

Turning 2nd order into 1st order refers to a process in chemical kinetics where a 2nd order reaction is converted into a 1st order reaction. This means that the rate of the reaction becomes directly proportional to the concentration of only one reactant, rather than being dependent on the concentrations of two reactants.

2. Why would someone want to turn a 2nd order reaction into a 1st order reaction?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to turn a 2nd order reaction into a 1st order reaction. One reason is that 1st order reactions are generally easier to study and analyze since they only depend on the concentration of one reactant. Additionally, 1st order reactions often have a simpler rate law, making it easier to determine the reaction rate and understand the reaction mechanism.

3. How is a 2nd order reaction converted into a 1st order reaction?

A 2nd order reaction can be converted into a 1st order reaction by changing the reaction conditions or by manipulating the reaction mechanism. For example, changing the temperature or pressure of the reaction can sometimes result in a change in the reaction order. Additionally, adding a catalyst or changing the reactant concentrations can also affect the reaction order.

4. What are some examples of 2nd order reactions being turned into 1st order reactions?

One example of a 2nd order reaction being turned into a 1st order reaction is the decomposition of nitrogen dioxide gas into nitrogen monoxide and oxygen gas. At high temperatures, this reaction follows a 2nd order rate law. However, at low temperatures, the reaction follows a 1st order rate law as the formation of nitrogen monoxide becomes the rate-determining step. Another example is the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, which can follow a 2nd order reaction at high concentrations, but a 1st order reaction at low concentrations.

5. How does turning 2nd order into 1st order affect the overall reaction rate?

Turning 2nd order into 1st order can significantly affect the overall reaction rate. In a 2nd order reaction, the rate is proportional to the concentrations of two reactants, meaning that when one reactant decreases, the reaction rate decreases as well. However, in a 1st order reaction, the rate is only dependent on the concentration of one reactant, so a decrease in that reactant's concentration will result in a much larger decrease in the reaction rate. This can lead to a faster reaction overall.