Turning point of car on the left or right of travel direction.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the location of a point (#3) relative to two other points (#1 and #2) needs to be determined. The initial solution involved converting from spherical to cartesian coordinates and using vectors to determine if the point is on the left or right. However, this method did not work well in the southern hemisphere or at the poles. Other possible solutions, such as using a 3D matrix, are being considered. The conversation also clarifies that points #1 and #2 lie on a circle with center point #3, but this does not affect the solution. The problem is a real-life issue in translating data between two aircraft systems.
keick
I've got an interesting problem that I can solve sometimes, but not always. Say I've got a 3 sets of lat/long positions on the earth, relatively close to each other. The idea is your in a car/airplane driving along and arc between points #1 and #2, with a center point #3. The question to be answered, is is point #3 on my left, or on my right.

My initial solution was to convert from spherical to cartesian, then calculate the vector from #1 to #2 and cross that with the vector from #1 to #3. Then a positive/negative z value would give me left/right.

However this doesn't see to work in the southern hemisphere, nor very well at the poles. Someone thought it would help to dot-product the resulting cross-product with the initial vector to point #1, but that hasn't seemed to produce a consistant result at various problem points on a sphere.

Any ideas, I'm I chasing the wrong concepts, should I be focusing more on a full 3d matrix solution instead of simple vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say "an arc between points #1 and #2, with a center point #3." What do you mean by "center point" here?

In this particular case, Points #1 and #2 both lay on a circle with center point #3.

I assuming that it really doesn't help in solving the problem though, since my solution should of worked for any point reasonably close (couple miles) to the vector formed between 1 and 2.

Please note, this is a real world problem I'm having translating data between two separate aircraft systems.

1. What is a turning point of a car?

A turning point of a car refers to the moment when the car changes direction while moving. This can occur when the car is turning left or right, or when it is making a U-turn.

2. How does the turning point of a car affect driving?

The turning point of a car is a crucial aspect of driving, as it determines the path that the car will take. It affects the handling and control of the car, and can also impact the speed and efficiency of the turn.

3. What factors influence the turning point of a car?

The turning point of a car can be influenced by various factors such as the speed of the car, the angle of the turn, the size and weight of the car, and the condition of the road. Additionally, external factors such as weather conditions and the presence of obstacles can also affect the turning point.

4. How can the turning point of a car be improved?

The turning point of a car can be improved by practicing good driving techniques such as slowing down before making a turn, using the correct steering technique, and maintaining the right balance between the gas and brake pedals. Regular maintenance of the car's steering and suspension systems can also help improve the turning point.

5. What are the dangers of not properly executing a turning point?

Failing to properly execute a turning point can lead to accidents, collisions, and loss of control of the car. It can also cause damage to the car's tires, suspension, and other components. In extreme cases, it can result in the car rolling over or veering off the road.