Turntable Acceleration question

In summary, a point on a rotating turntable 20.0 cm from the center accelerates from rest to a final speed of .700m/s in 1.75s. At t=1.25s, find the magnitude and direction of (a) the radial acceleration, (b) the tangential acceleration, and (c) the total acceleration.
Husker70

Homework Statement

A point on a rotating turntable 20.0 cm from the center accelerates from rest to a final
speed of .700m/s in 1.75s. At t=1.25s, find the magnitude and direction of (a) the radial
acceleration, (b) the tangential acceleration, and (c) the total acceleration at that point

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the speed by comparing the the speed at 1.75s to speed at 1.25. I get
this to be .5m/s
To find the radial acceleration at that point I do (.5m/s)2/.20m = 1.25m/s2
Is the tangential acceleration at that point 1.25/1.25? Which is the radial/time?
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Husker70 said:

Homework Statement

A point on a rotating turntable 20.0 cm from the center accelerates from rest to a final
speed of .700m/s in 1.75s. At t=1.25s, find the magnitude and direction of (a) the radial
acceleration, (b) the tangential acceleration, and (c) the total acceleration at that point

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the speed by comparing the the speed at 1.75s to speed at 1.25. I get
this to be .5m/s
To find the radial acceleration at that point I do (.5m/s)2/.20m = 1.25m/s2
Is the tangential acceleration at that point 1.25/1.25? Which is the radial/time?
Kevin

The tangential acceleration at that point is the change in tangential velocity. That would be the same acceleration you used to determine that it was moving at .5m/s namely (.7m/s) /1.75s

Presumably you know to sum the accelerations as vectors for the final answer..

Thanks but that what I'm unsure of. I simply assumed that this is a constant acceleration
and so by simple comparing taking 1.75/.7=1.25/x, I get .5 m/s
Did I start that wrong?

Kevin

Husker70 said:
Thanks but that what I'm unsure of. I simply assumed that this is a constant acceleration
and so by simple comparing taking 1.75/.7=1.25/x, I get .5 m/s
Did I start that wrong?

Kevin

You should expect that the acceleration is uniform, and that looked fine.

They should have said if it were not.

Good Luck.

Is that tang acceleration correct by using the radial acceleration at that point/time?
So that 1.25m/s2/ 1.25s = 1 m/s2 for tang?

Thanks,
Kevin

Husker70 said:
Is that tang acceleration correct by using the radial acceleration at that point/time?
So that 1.25m/s2/ 1.25s = 1 m/s2 for tang?

Thanks,
Kevin

Oops the acceleration is inverted. It's .7/1.75. Sorry for swapping the two.

Last edited:
That means you have a forward acceleration of .7/1.75 = .4m/s2

And your radial acceleration is 1.25m/s2 as you already found.

The angle then is tan-1(.4/1.25) = 17.74 degrees (ratio of Opposite/adjacent with respect to forward of the radius.)

The magnitude is the RSS of .4 and 1.25 .

Thanks,
That makes sense to me. Thanks for your time. I'm getting
ready to go take my first exam.

Take care,
Kevin

Husker70 said:
Thanks,
That makes sense to me. Thanks for your time. I'm getting
ready to go take my first exam.

Take care,
Kevin

Best of luck then.

1. What is turntable acceleration?

Turntable acceleration refers to the rate at which the rotational speed of a turntable changes over time. In other words, it measures how quickly the turntable is able to reach a certain speed or change its speed.

2. How is turntable acceleration measured?

Turntable acceleration is typically measured in revolutions per minute squared (RPM/s^2) or radians per second squared (rad/s^2). This can be calculated by dividing the change in rotational speed by the change in time.

3. What factors affect turntable acceleration?

Several factors can affect turntable acceleration, including the torque (rotational force) applied to the turntable, the mass and distribution of the objects on the turntable, and any friction or resistance present on the turntable's surface.

4. How does turntable acceleration impact vinyl records?

Turntable acceleration can affect the sound quality of vinyl records by causing fluctuations in the rotational speed, which can result in variations in pitch and timing of the music. It is important to have a stable and consistent turntable acceleration to ensure proper playback of vinyl records.

5. Can turntable acceleration be adjusted?

Yes, turntable acceleration can be adjusted by changing the torque applied to the turntable or by adjusting the turntable's speed control. It is important to carefully adjust turntable acceleration to ensure optimal sound quality and to avoid damaging the turntable or records.