TV weather reporters with appropriate names?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weather
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 8K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
Messages
16,110
Reaction score
8,519
TV weather reporters with "appropriate" names?

In Charlotte, the NBC station, WCNC, has a weatherman named Larry Sprinkle.

I think the ideal candidate would be a woman named Reina Shine. :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
In Charlotte, the NBC station, WCNC, has a weatherman named Larry Sprinkle.

I think the ideal candidate would be a woman named Reina Shine. :biggrin:
BBC East Midlands has a weather reporter Sara Blizzard and there are quite a few named Gail.
 
The Weather Channel had a reporter named Ray Ban. The UPN station in Secaucus, NJ (WWOR) has a weatherman named Storm Field. And KABC, Los Angeles has Dallas Raines, who has allegedly been approached by San Antonio, Austin, Houston and other Texas stations eager for a joke!
 
When Darr Maqbool was the weather guy for A-Channel news in Calgary the station promoted his segment with the tag "he's hot, he's cool, he's Darr Maqbool".

Maqbool almost always filmed the weather segment outdoors, usually just outside the studio building in downtown Calgary. This made for some interesting reports when passers-by streaked, waved or invited themselves into the scene. He also shot one report while fishing in the Bow River: he was reciting the forecast when a beaver paddled obliviously into the scene and collided with his hip-waders. Maqbool's on-air response was "I've never rubbed against a beaver in the Bow before".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mondayman
Not exactly what you are looking for, but here in the Phila. area we have Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz. And many years ago there was Wally Kinnan, the weatherman.
 
Gokul43201 said:
The UPN station in Secaucus, NJ (WWOR) has a weatherman named Storm Field.

That one isn't so surprising. His father did weather and science reporting (IIRC, it was for CBS), Dr. Frank Field, and he's the guilty party who named his son Storm and then helped him get into the weather reporting biz.
 
Why are there so many news reporters named Gale? Or is this just some belief I hold because of the frequent use of the name Gale for news reporters in TV shows and movies?
 
Last edited:
Moonbear said:
That one isn't so surprising. His father did weather and science reporting (IIRC, it was for CBS), Dr. Frank Field, and he's the guilty party who named his son Storm and then helped him get into the weather reporting biz.

I don't see how you could NOT get into the weather reporting biz with a name line that.
 
jimmysnyder said:
We got a Paige working in the library.

:lol:

Paige Turner?
 
If we're going to veer off into other fields, there's the fictitious host of a gardening TV show on (I think) the old "WKRP in Cincinnati" series: Pete Moss the Plant Man.
 
oedipa maas said:
When Darr Maqbool was the weather guy for A-Channel news in Calgary the station promoted his segment with the tag "he's hot, he's cool, he's Darr Maqbool".

Man, do I ever remember that! Missed the beaver bit, though. Where the hell did he disappear to, anyhow?

edit: Hang on now. I just checked your user profile and it says that you're in the Netherlands. When were you here?
 
Last edited:
New post, since I'm hijacking now. I have a couple of blooper albums, one of which contains the following from a Yankee TV weather lady:
...and Helena got six inches during the night...
(loud off-stage snickering)
...Helena Montana that is, got six inches of snow during the the night... you guys...
 
Dude, that's nothing:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just saw that one last week. Still, that doesn't discount the humour factor of mine, considering that social taboos were a little more stringent in the 70's when that happened.