Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TV weather reporters with appropriate names?

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

TV weather reporters with "appropriate" names?

In Charlotte, the NBC station, WCNC, has a weatherman named Larry Sprinkle.

I think the ideal candidate would be a woman named Reina Shine. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Art

BBC East Midlands has a weather reporter Sara Blizzard and there are quite a few named Gail.

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Weather Channel had a reporter named Ray Ban. The UPN station in Secaucus, NJ (WWOR) has a weatherman named Storm Field. And KABC, Los Angeles has Dallas Raines, who has allegedly been approached by San Antonio, Austin, Houston and other Texas stations eager for a joke!

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4
    When Darr Maqbool was the weather guy for A-Channel news in Calgary the station promoted his segment with the tag "he's hot, he's cool, he's Darr Maqbool".

Maqbool almost always filmed the weather segment outdoors, usually just outside the studio building in downtown Calgary. This made for some interesting reports when passers-by streaked, waved or invited themselves into the scene. He also shot one report while fishing in the Bow River: he was reciting the forecast when a beaver paddled obliviously into the scene and collided with his hip-waders. Maqbool's on-air response was "I've never rubbed against a beaver in the Bow before".

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    Not exactly what you are looking for, but here in the Phila. area we have Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz. And many years ago there was Wally Kinnan, the weatherman.

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Weather reporters all use their stripper names.

8. Jan 24, 2008 #7

jtbell

9. Jan 24, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That one isn't so surprising. His father did weather and science reporting (IIRC, it was for CBS), Dr. Frank Field, and he's the guilty party who named his son Storm and then helped him get into the weather reporting biz.

10. Jan 24, 2008 #9
    Why are there so many news reporters named Gale? Or is this just some belief I hold because of the frequent use of the name Gale for news reporters in TV shows and movies?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  11. Jan 24, 2008 #10
    I don't see how you could NOT get into the weather reporting biz with a name line that.

12. Jan 24, 2008 #11
    We got a Paige working in the library.

13. Jan 24, 2008 #12
    :lol:

Paige Turner?

14. Jan 24, 2008 #13
  15. Jan 24, 2008 #14

jtbell

If we're going to veer off into other fields, there's the fictitious host of a gardening TV show on (I think) the old "WKRP in Cincinnati" series: Pete Moss the Plant Man.

16. Jan 24, 2008 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Man, do I ever remember that! Missed the beaver bit, though. Where the hell did he disappear to, anyhow?

edit: Hang on now. I just checked your user profile and it says that you're in the Netherlands. When were you here?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  17. Jan 24, 2008 #16

Danger

Gold Member

New post, since I'm hijacking now. I have a couple of blooper albums, one of which contains the following from a Yankee TV weather lady:
    ...and Helena got six inches during the night...
    (loud off-stage snickering)
    ...Helena Montana that is, got six inches of snow during the the night... you guys...

18. Jan 24, 2008 #17
    Dude, that's nothing:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  19. Jan 24, 2008 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, I just saw that one last week. Still, that doesn't discount the humour factor of mine, considering that social taboos were a little more stringent in the 70's when that happened.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?