Definition of temperature in weather reporting

In summary, - weather stations measure temperatures in the shade (due to the heat island effect) as being higher than temperatures measured in direct sunlight- weather station max temperatures are taken when the mercury reaches its highest point, regardless of duration- weather station min temperatures are taken when the mercury reaches its lowest point
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
What definition of temperature is used in reporting weather conditions. To measure air temperature must thermometers be put in a dark place?
In my town, newspaper stories say we've had several days of record high temperatures. The stories report temperatures in the range of 107 F. However, on the same days, online weather reports show temperatures as high as 116 F.

I think online weather reports use reports from amateur weather stations. ( On several days, I've seen the temperature measured by an (analog) outdoor thermometer in the shade of a covered patio get up to 115 F.) I speculate that "official" weather stations take more precautions than amateurs to shield their thermometers from radiant heat. Is that correct? Are there additional considerations to explain the differences in reported highs? - pehaps something about data rates? Does the definition of "temperature" in weather reporting require that the temperature stay at a certain value for a minimum length of time?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen

I am almost certain that in my area, the values registered at the weather station located in the international airport are taken as reference, as many oficial reports refer to that station.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, berkeman, russ_watters and 3 others
Heat island effects. Urbanization changes ambient temperatures. Downtown is hotter than out in the exurbs.
https://www.epa.gov/heatislands

Microclimate is something that Biologists have great interest in. Example: many desert species cannot endure full sun exposure for long periods, so they burrow down one to two inches in the soil or hide in the shade of a rock. This can mean temperature changes on the order ten degrees C cooler. Seed germination is especially tied to soil surface microclimate in terms of moisture, insolation, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microclimate

Answer to your question is, thank you @Lnewqban, - the Stevenson Screen is the NOAA standard weather station. Microclimate accounts for different thermometer readings around the house, the heat island is a good explanation for big differences across a city and suburbs

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, davenn and Lnewqban
Stephen Tashi said:
In my town, newspaper stories say we've had several days of record high temperatures. The stories report temperatures in the range of 107 F. However, on the same days, online weather reports show temperatures as high as 116 F.

I think online weather reports use reports from amateur weather stations. ( On several days, I've seen the temperature measured by an (analog) outdoor thermometer in the shade of a covered patio get up to 115 F.)
Do you have sources you can share? It should be made pretty clear what the source is, in the report. I use NOAA/NWS as my primary weather source.

My home weather station is in a good spot though and agrees pretty well.

Likes Lnewqban and jim mcnamara
russ_watters said:
Do you have sources you can share?

I use wunderground.com for the current temperature report.
However, I don't know how to get past temperature data for all the weather stations that site can show. I only see past temperature data for stations whose names suggest they are professional - such as Las Cruces International Airport Station.

I worked for the UK MetOffice as a forecaster for a few years.

Official temperatures are always measured out of direct sunlight, in those white slatted boxes known as Stevenson Screens - hence weathermen often qualify their temperatures with 'in the shade'.

However, those boxes can't remove the effect of urbanization, so temperaures in built up areas are recorded as higher than in the surroundings. (Interestingly the max temp in such areas often occurs a couple of hours later than elsewhere, as the heat built up during the strongest sunshine is released in the late afternoon/early evening).

As for max temperature - no, there's no rule to say how long the temperature should be sustained. The thermometer has a little gadget in it to record the highest position of the mercury (or similarly the lowest) from which max and min temps are taken.

Likes russ_watters and Stephen Tashi

What is the definition of temperature in weather reporting?

The definition of temperature in weather reporting is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in the air. It is typically reported in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

How is temperature measured in weather reporting?

Temperature is measured using a thermometer, which is a device that uses the expansion or contraction of a liquid or gas to determine the temperature. In weather reporting, the thermometer is usually placed in a sheltered area away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat.

What factors can affect temperature in weather reporting?

Several factors can affect temperature in weather reporting, including air pressure, humidity, wind speed, and cloud cover. These factors can impact how much heat is absorbed or reflected by the Earth's surface, which in turn affects the temperature.

What is the difference between air temperature and surface temperature?

Air temperature refers to the temperature of the air in a specific location, while surface temperature refers to the temperature of the Earth's surface. These two temperatures can vary, as the Earth's surface can absorb or reflect heat differently than the surrounding air.

Why is temperature an important factor in weather reporting?

Temperature is an important factor in weather reporting because it can impact human comfort, agriculture, and the environment. It can also affect the formation of weather patterns, such as clouds, precipitation, and storms. By accurately reporting temperature, we can better understand and predict weather conditions.