Two batteries and three resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a drawing with two questions, one about the current flow through a 6.0 V battery when the switch is closed and the other when it is open. The equations used to solve the problem include Kirchoff's rules and the attempt at a solution involves setting up two loops to solve for the currents. The final result is not clear, but the conversation mentions using the currents to check if the sum of voltage drops around any loop is zero.
n.hirsch1

Homework Statement

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1122583/1/Walker.21.52.jpg
This is the drawing for the problem
The two questions are:
1) How much current flows through 6.0 V battery when the switch is closed?
2)How much current flows through 6.0 V battery when the switch is open?

Homework Equations

I1-I2-I3=0
Kirchoffs rules (charge conservation and loop rule)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to set up two loops to solve for the current, the first one going around the outside and solving for I3:
0 = 6V - I1R1 - I3R3
I3 = 6V - 5/2I1
Then setting the second loop around the left side of the diagram and solving for I2:
0 = 9V - I1R1 + I2R2
I2 = 9V - 5/4I1

Then using I1 - I2 - I3 = 0 and plugging in the equations above and solving for I1, which I found to be 3.16 A, then continuing to algebraically solve and find I3 as -1.9A and I2 as 5.05 A.

From this point, I am not sure what to do or even if I got the above numbers correct. I tried adding I1 and I3 because that would be the loop that would be used for the 6V if the switch is closed, but that is not correct (1.26 A)

I could use some guidance, thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the currents then you can go back and see if in fact that the sum of the voltage drops around any loop is zero.

The physics text by Halliday and Resnick does a similar problem as an example.

What is the purpose of two batteries and three resistors in a circuit?

The purpose of using two batteries and three resistors in a circuit is to create a more complex and efficient flow of electricity. By having multiple sources of power and resistors to control the flow, the circuit can perform a variety of tasks and power different components.

How are the two batteries connected in the circuit?

The two batteries can be connected in two different ways: in series or in parallel. In series, the positive end of one battery is connected to the negative end of the other, and the remaining two ends act as the positive and negative terminals of the circuit. In parallel, the positive ends of both batteries are connected together, as well as the negative ends, creating two separate power sources.

What is the role of resistors in the circuit?

Resistors are used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. They are designed to resist the flow of current, which helps regulate the amount of electricity that reaches different components in the circuit. This is important for preventing overload and protecting the components from damage.

How do resistors affect the overall voltage and current in the circuit?

Resistors have a direct impact on the voltage and current in a circuit. They decrease the overall voltage by absorbing some of the energy from the batteries, and they also decrease the current by slowing down the flow of electricity. The amount of resistance in the resistors determines the extent of these effects.

Can the number of resistors in the circuit be changed?

Yes, the number of resistors in a circuit can be changed. Adding more resistors in series will increase the overall resistance and decrease the current, while adding more resistors in parallel will decrease the overall resistance and increase the current. This allows for flexibility in designing and adjusting the circuit for different purposes.