1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two bloack stack on top, find max force to prevent skidding

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of mass m rests on top of a block of mass M, which in turn rests on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction between m and M is mu-1 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between m and M is mu-2. The coefficient of static friction between M and the surface is mu-3 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between M and the surface is mu-4. What is the maximum horizontal force you can apply to block M such that blocks m and M move at constant velocity and m does not skid off M.

2. Relevant equations

Newtons 2nd and 3rd law..

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, i solved the problem but i am still not convinced my answer is right.. I am assuming the problem i have is with newtons 3rd law (deciding whether the static friection should point right or left). Here is my answer.

First, i made a free body diagram from the top block (m). The force down is mg, therefore the upward normal force is the force block M exerts on block m. I put the force of static fricition point left, because without fricition, nothing will keep the block moving to the left. Therefore, the force block M exerts on m (x-direction) is to the right.

Therefore,
    F (M on m in y) = mg UP
    F (M on m in x) = (mu-1)mg RIGHT

Now going to the FBD for the large box,

Obviously, F points left, force of kinetic friction points right, Mg points down, and n points up. Now using N3L,

F (m on M in y) = mg DOWN
    F (m on M in x) = (mu-1)mg LEFT

Solving this i am left with

F(max) = (mu-4)(M + m)g - (mu-1)mg

But conceptually, i would think increasing mu-1 should increase the F max..... so i doubt my answe is right.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You assumed the force F pointing to the left, did you?

The boxes interact through the static friction. If the force of static friction on m points to the left why is the force of the big box on m is to the right? The x-force of the big box is the same as the force of static friction.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook