Two blocks and compressed spring

In summary, two blocks with masses m1 = 1.2 kg and m2 = 3.5 kg, initially at rest on a frictionless surface with a compressed spring between them, undergo a conservation of momentum and energy transformation when released simultaneously. The final momentum of the system is equal to zero, which allows for the solving of the missing velocity and the spring constant. The final velocities of the blocks will have opposite signs due to their opposite directions of movement.
chaotixmonjuish
Two blocks with masses m1 = 1.2 kg and m2 = 3.5 kg are at rest on a frictionless surface with a compressed spring between them. The spring is initially compressed by 65.0 cm and has negligible mass. When both blocks are released simultaneously and the spring has dropped to the surface, m1 is found to have a speed of 3.0 m/s.
What is the speed of m2?
What is the spring constant of the spring?

I don't even know how to start this problem. I thought about using the momentum equation, but I'm not sure how to treat the spring.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you thought about using conservation of momentum, good! That's what you need. For the second part realize that the final energy of both masses was once stored in the spring.

Well I'm trying to figure out how to use conservation of momentum.

P= 3.0*1.2+5.4*v

I'm not sure how to find the total velocity becuase I don't have the total momentum.

chaotixmonjuish said:
Two blocks with masses m1 = 1.2 kg and m2 = 3.5 kg are at rest on a frictionless surface with a compressed spring between them. The spring is initially compressed by 65.0 cm and has negligible mass. When both blocks are released simultaneously and the spring has dropped to the surface, m1 is found to have a speed of 3.0 m/s.
What is the speed of m2?
What is the spring constant of the spring?

I don't even know how to start this problem. I thought about using the momentum equation, but I'm not sure how to treat the spring.

I'm just throwing this out there for you, but since momentum of the system before equals the momentum of the system after...

Could I use the potential energy of a spring and set that equal to the kinetic energy of the blocks to figure out the velocity, or do I have to solve the first question in order ot find the spring constant.

Honestly, I don't have the whole spring thing down yet, but I think based on the fact that they begin at rest, i.e. momentum before = 0, you can solve for the velocity that you are missing. That get's you the first part. I can't help on the second part as I'd possibly give you bad or misleading advice.

I think based on the fact that they begin at rest, i.e. momentum before = 0, you can solve for the velocity that you are missing.

Yes, you can.

chaotixmonjuish said:
Could I use the potential energy of a spring and set that equal to the kinetic energy of the blocks to figure out the velocity, or do I have to solve the first question in order ot find the spring constant.

Once you find the missing velocity, you can use conservation of energy between the spring and the blocks to find the spring constant.

So initial momentum equals zero:

0=1.2*0+3.5*0

Does this mean final momentum equals
1.2*3+3.5*x=0

chaotixmonjuish said:
Does this mean final momentum equals
1.2*3+3.5*x=0
Yes. Realize that the two velocities will have opposite signs because the blocks shoot off in opposite directions.

What is a compressed spring?

A compressed spring is a type of mechanical energy storage device that is made up of a coiled or helical wire. When a force is applied to the spring, it compresses and stores potential energy. When the force is removed, the spring expands and releases the stored energy.

How does a compressed spring work?

A compressed spring works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy. When an external force is applied to the spring, it compresses and stores potential energy. This potential energy is released when the force is removed, causing the spring to expand and release the stored energy.

What are the factors that affect the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material and size of the spring, the applied force, and the amount of compression. The stiffness of the spring, also known as its spring constant, also plays a role in how much the spring will compress.

How does compression affect the force of a spring?

The force of a spring is directly proportional to its compression. This means that the more a spring is compressed, the greater the force it will exert. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the amount of compression.

How is a compressed spring used in two-block systems?

A compressed spring is often used in two-block systems to transfer energy between the blocks. The compressed spring acts as a source of potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy as the blocks move. This allows for controlled motion and can be used in various applications, such as shock absorbers and mechanical toys.