1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Blocks Connected by a Massless String Over a Pulley

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    A 6.0kg box is on a frictionless 35° slope and is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging 2.0kg weight. What is the tension in the string if the 6.0kg box is held in place, so that it cannot move?

m1= 6.0kg
    m2= 2.0kg
    θ=35°

So, for Box 1 to be held in place so that it doesn't move, the net force has to be equal to zero. If we tilt our coordinate system 35°,

Fnet,x = T + Gx
    0 = T - mgsinθ
    T = mgsinθ
    T = (6.0kg)(9.8m/s2)sin(35°)
    T = 33.726269N

That's the only way that I can think to do this question. The online assignment is telling me that I'm flat wrong. Is there something that I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    Umm, You need to consider the 2 forces affecting the block on the slope, that's where you will get your tension. That is the way I understand it works. The block on the slope will start pulling the 2 kg no matter what, so if it starts moving, it will gain an acceleration and if it gains an acceleration then that means something, don't you think?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook