1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks sliding and the collision

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two blocks are on a frictionless track with a vertical, quarter circle, and 30 degree incline. Released from rest at point A, 1 kg smaller block 1 slides to B and makes an inelastic collision with 5 kg stationary larger block 2. The collision sents block 2 up the ramp. The smaller block slides back up along the track after collision reach highest point C. If angle locates point C is 60 degrees, find max distance "s" block 2 travel on the incline.
    [PLAIN]http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/752/picturefv.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Energy equation : K1+ Ug1+ UE1+Work= K2+Ug2+UE2
    Inelastic collision equation: m1v1+ m2v2= m1v1' + m2v2'

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I found the velocity for slider 1 BEFORE collision using energy equation.
    2. I then use the inelastic collision equation and found V'1(at B) + 5V'2(at B) = 7.668. Which is the equation for velocity of slider 1 and 2 at point B after they collide.
    3. Then I used energy equation again for B to C motion by slider 1 AFTER collision. I found V'1( at B) = 14.7. I plug this in the step 2 result and found V'2 (at B), which is the velocity of slider 2 at Point B AFTER collision.
    4. Then I used energy equation for motion B to D for slider 2 AFTER collision. D being furthest part on the incline slider 2 travels on. Here I find "s" being 0.202 meters.
    However, the answer is 0.54 meters, I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I doubled checked my steps and my calculations, too.

Hopefully someone could help, thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    I tried the question and I get 0.54m as well. Exactly actually. I think your mistake is here "V'1( at B) = 14.7". I get sqrt(1.5g) = 3.834. Did you forget to square root it here? Also, don't forget V1 should be plugged in as negative since it's moving to the left.

4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    I tried it again with cleaner procedures and found that it should be sqrt 14.7. However, I forgot to make V1 negative this time. Good thing I checked this and with your help I changed V1 to negative and guess what, I finally found the correct answer.
    Thank you so much! This was the only one I'm stuck on for my test tomorrow and now I am all set!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook