1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks stacked centripetal motion

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mass 1(2.0kg) sits on top of mass 2(5 kg), which rests on a frictionless surface. The coefficient of static friction between mass 1 and 2 is 0.30. A string of length 5.0m is tied to mass 2, and both masses are swung around in a horizontal circle. Calculate a) the max speed of the masses and b) the tension in the string.

2. Relevant equations
    Fc=mv^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the correct answer to a) by assuming static friction was the centripetal force but I don't understand why it is. Wouldn't the direction of the static friction be perpendicular to the rope to oppose mass 1 from falling of mass 2 as they're swung? And for b) I don't know what to do because if I just use T as the centripetal force for mass 2 I don't have its mass so I cant calculate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

In this scenario, envision that the blocks' speed around the circle increases very gradually,
    so that the rope pulls "essentially" toward the center of the circular path; ignore air drag!

a) What ELSE might deflect the top block from straight-line path to circular path?
    (nothing else touching it but bottom block, only gravity as field Force)
    b) block #2 has 5kg mass. the rope is the only thing pulling the 2 blocks inward.

4. Jan 27, 2014 #3
    Wow. I feel like an idiot now... I didn't realize the masses were given even after typing that out. Thanks though.

5. Jan 27, 2014 #4

lightgrav

Homework Helper

by the way, recall that ropes always pull inward along their length;
    a rope pulling bottom block in a straight line would also need friction applied to top block, pointing along the rope.
    and in the same strength ratio.

6. Jan 27, 2014 #5
    By pointing along the rope do you mean in the outward direction?

7. Jan 27, 2014 #6

lightgrav

Homework Helper

same direction that the rope pulls:
    the rope pulls the bottom block inward, right?
    what pulls the top block inward? nothing touching it except bottom block, by friction.

8. Jan 27, 2014 #7
    Ok thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted