1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two bodies problem in other reference system

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I would like to try to "model" motion of two gravitationally interacting bodies. But from some "separated" point. I can find the trajectory of mass point to orbits around some other mass point from point of view one of them (using binets formula). But in this reference frame I am sitting in focus (on that point). But I would like to observe moving of these bodies from other reference system, where I am "static" (or sitting at infinity) and the bodies are orbiting each other.
    I am thinking it should be possible to transform result where I am in the focus to some other frame, but I dont know how.
    Or is it better look at this problem in other way from start? How?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your "local" model uses elliptical coordinates you should be able to transform those to your rectangular system. You just have to keep track of the relative locations of the origins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook