1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two capacitors connected in series

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two capacitors, capacitance of 30 μF and 60 μF respectively, each has charge of 50 μF and 70 μF. The capacitors then connected in series. Find the potential difference on each capacitor now

2. Relevant equations
    Q = CV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the charge should be same for series circuit but I don't know how to analyse this question. Each capacitors has its own charge and voltage and after connected in series, their charge should be the same. How to find it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

uF is a measure of capacitance, not charge, so I don't understand what you are saying here.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about what "The capacitors then connected in series" means. Presumably only one plate of each is connected together otherwise they would be in parallel. If only one side of each capacitor is connected together how much current can flow?

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4
    sorry, I meant 50 μC and 70 μC

Sorry I really don't know the concept here of how to determine the current when only one side of each capacitor is connected...I assume that one positive plate is connected to other negative plate. Will the case be the same if the series circuit connects positive plate to positive plate?

Thanks

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the only one end of each capacitor is connected to anything there is no closed circuit so no current flow. Therefore the capacitors retain whatever charge and voltage they had before they were connected.

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6
    Sorry, actually there are choices for this question:
    a. 4 and 8 Volt
    b. 8 and 4 Volt
    c. 5 and 5 Volt
    d. 3 and 6 Volt
    e. 6 and 3 Volt

If the capacitors retain their voltage, their voltage should be 5/3 and 7/6 Volt.

So there is no correct choice?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook