Two cars moving towards each other - bullets fired

In summary, the cars are moving towards each other at a rate of 82 kilometers per hour and bullets are fired at a rate of 15 per second. The bullets hit the car at a spread of 15 meters.
Isobel

Homework Statement

This problem-solving question is about a police car chasing criminals.
Two cars are moving in the same direction, parallel (assumed).
One car is moving at 82 km/h.
The other car is moving at 64 km/h.
Bullets are fired from the car moving at 82 km/h towards the car moving at 64 km/h at a rate of 15 bullets per second.
a) what is the spread of the bullets that hit the car?
b) how many bullets hit the car?

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to use kinematic equations:
s=ut+0.5*at squared
v squared = u squared + 2as
v = u+at
s= (u+v)/2*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this question on an exam and I had no idea how to do it. This is just what I remember of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isobel said:
what is the spread of the bullets that hit the car?
Do you mean, at what rate do the bullets hit the other car?
What about the muzzle speed of the bullets, is that known?

You also need the length of the car to anwer (b).

From the thread title it sounds like one car is behind the other, but from the problem statement it sounds more like the cars are side by side with one overtaking and passing the other. Assuming the latter the spread (or spacing) of the impacts can be found, but to answer (b) the length of the criminal's car would have to be known as observed by @kuruman.

I think we need to await the return of @Isobel for clarification.

I haven't done the sums but it might be obvious how many bullets hit the car if the spread is large enough.

gneill said:
From the thread title it sounds like one car is behind the other, but from the problem statement it sounds more like the cars are side by side with one overtaking and passing the other. Assuming the latter the spread (or spacing) of the impacts can be found, but to answer (b) the length of the criminal's car would have to be known as observed by @kuruman.

I think we need to await the return of @Isobel for clarification.
The cars are side by side with one overtaking the other.
The length of the criminal's car was not given, which is where I got stuck.
Perhaps you could assume the length of the car and work from there?

How about starting with part (a). I think by "spread" is meant the distance between successive bullets that hit the car. Can you find that? Think relative velocity.

1. How does the speed of the cars affect the outcome of the bullets fired?

The speed of the cars will affect the outcome of the bullets fired as it will impact the velocity and trajectory of the bullets. The faster the cars are moving towards each other, the greater the speed and force of the bullets will be, potentially causing more damage upon impact.

2. What factors contribute to the accuracy of the bullets fired in this scenario?

The accuracy of the bullets fired in this scenario depends on several factors such as the speed and direction of the cars, the type and caliber of the bullets, and the skill and experience of the person firing the bullets. Other environmental factors like wind and visibility can also play a role in the accuracy of the bullets.

3. Can the bullets fired from each car collide in mid-air?

Yes, it is possible for the bullets fired from each car to collide in mid-air depending on their trajectories and the timing of the shots. However, this is a very rare occurrence and would require precise conditions for it to happen.

4. How far apart should the cars be for the bullets to collide in mid-air?

The distance between the cars for the bullets to collide in mid-air will depend on the speed and trajectory of the bullets, as well as the velocity of the cars. It is difficult to determine an exact distance, but generally, the faster the cars are moving towards each other, the closer they need to be for the bullets to potentially collide.

5. What happens if the bullets miss the cars and continue traveling?

If the bullets miss the cars, they will continue traveling until they lose their momentum and either hit something else or fall to the ground due to gravity. The distance they travel will depend on their speed and trajectory, as well as any external forces like wind. It is important to always exercise caution and proper safety measures when firing bullets, regardless of the situation.