Two Charges - Electric Potential Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric potential at point C, when two charges are fixed a distance d apart and a third charge is brought in from infinity. The equation used is Electric Potential = kQ/r and the answers are in error due to incorrect conversions of units. The second part, calculating the work when moving a charge from infinity, is not possible as the distance is unknown.
pierretong

Homework Statement

Two charges q = 4.0μ C are fixed in space a distance d = 4.0 cm apart, as shown in the figure. With V = 0 at infinity, what is the electric potential at point C?

You bring a third charge q = 4.0μC from infinity to C. How much work must you do?

What is the potential energy U of the three-charge configuration when the third charge is in place?

Diagram shows (let me use x-y coordinate terms to describe this). Charge q at the origin. Another charge q at (4 cm, 0 cm) and point C at (2 cm, 2 cm)

Homework Equations

Electric Potential = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

That's the right equation for the first part correct? I get 1.27*10^4 for the electric potential for one of the charges on point C. When you double that, you get 2.5 * 10^4 V and that should be the answer? (online homework system says that it is wrong).
What am I doing wrong here?

Also I don't understand the second part. If you are moving a charge from infinity, how can you calculate the work? You don't know the distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
pierretong said:

Homework Statement

Two charges q = 4.0μ C are fixed in space a distance d = 4.0 cm apart, as shown in the figure. With V = 0 at infinity, what is the electric potential at point C?

You bring a third charge q = 4.0μC from infinity to C. How much work must you do?

What is the potential energy U of the three-charge configuration when the third charge is in place?

Diagram shows (let me use x-y coordinate terms to describe this). Charge q at the origin. Another charge q at (4 cm, 0 cm) and point C at (2 cm, 2 cm)

Homework Equations

Electric Potential = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

That's the right equation for the first part correct? I get 1.27*10^4 for the electric potential for one of the charges on point C. When you double that, you get 2.5 * 10^4 V and that should be the answer? (online homework system says that it is wrong).
What am I doing wrong here?

Also I don't understand the second part. If you are moving a charge from infinity, how can you calculate the work? You don't know the distance?
Hello pierretong. Welcome to PF !

I see that this is your 2nd post & that you posted your first thread yesterday?

I hope DocAl's explanation was helpful, and that you were you able to solve your problem.

As for this thread:
4 cm = 4× 10-2 m, not 4× 10+2 m.​
Your answer is in error by some power of 10.

1. What is an electric potential?

An electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the potential energy by the charge at a certain point in an electric field. The formula for electric potential is V = U/q, where V is the electric potential, U is the potential energy, and q is the charge.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a system of charges. Electric potential is a property of the electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of the charges in the field.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect electric potential?

The distance between two charges directly affects the electric potential. As the distance between the charges increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges.

5. How do multiple charges affect electric potential?

Multiple charges can create complex electric potential fields. The electric potential at a certain point in the field is the sum of the individual electric potentials created by each charge. The direction and magnitude of the electric potential at a point is determined by the combined effects of all the charges in the field.