Two Coaxial Linear Magnetic Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of bound currents and magnetic fields in a two-layered cylindrical wire with different permeabilities in each layer. Equations for calculating bound currents and magnetic fields are provided and used to determine the inner and outer material fields. The result of a vanishing bound volume current is found, which is unexpected. The possibility of a magnetic surface current at the boundary between the two materials is suggested as a potential explanation for the discrepancy in calculated fields.
ApoI1o

Homework Statement

Consider a two-layered cylindrical wire with inner-layer permeability μ1 and outer-layer permeability μ2. A line current I runs through the center in the z direction. Calculate the bound currents and the magnetic field produced by the bound currents.

Homework Equations

[1] ∫ B⋅dl = Iμ0
[2] ∫ H⋅dl = Ifree
[3] B = μ0 (H+M)
[4] B = μH
[5] Jb = ∇x M
[6] Kb = M x n

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Using equation 2 and symmetry, I come up with
H = I/(2πs)

Using equation 4, I found the inner and outer material B fields. These point in the φ direction.
B=Iμ1/(2πs) in the inner material
B=Iμ2/(2πs) in the outer material.

Plugging B and H into equation 3, I found the inner and outer material M fields. These point in the φ direction.
M= I(μ10 - 1) / (2πs) in the inner material
M= I(μ20 - 1) / (2πs) in the outer material

Plugging M into equation 5, I calculate that Jb = 0 in both the inner and outer material.

I expected some bound volume current, so this result is strange to me. If there is no bound volume current and I draw an amperian loop within the inner material, the enclosed total current must be equal to I. If that's the case, I should be able to use equation 1 to find that
B = Iμ0/(2πs)
but I already calculated a different inner B field above.

How can I reconcile the different B values in this inner material?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a little bit, it seemed you had found a case where ## \oint M \cdot dl ## is non-zero and where ## \nabla \times M=0 ##. The ## I_{free} ## is uniformly distributed through the ## \mu_1 ## material. Thereby, the current enclosed in your ## B \cdot dl ## loop and ## H \cdot dl ## loop is proportional to ## r^2 ## and thereby you will not have a vanishing curl and you will get a finite ## J_b ##. ## \\ ## If you did work the problem as the case where you have a very thin inner inner conductor (of radius "a" )down the center carrying the entire current, I think you would find there is a magnetic current at the boundary where the ## \mu_1 ## material begins that supplies the necessary difference between ## \mu_o \oint H \cdot dl ## and ## \oint B \cdot dl ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
For a little bit, it seemed you had found a case where ## \oint M \cdot dl ## is non-zero and where ## \nabla \times M=0 ##. The ## I_{free} ## is uniformly distributed through the ## \mu_1 ## material. Thereby, the current enclosed in your ## B \cdot dl ## loop and ## H \cdot dl ## loop is proportional to ## r^2 ## and thereby you will not have a vanishing curl and you will get a finite ## J_b ##. ## \\ ## If you did work the problem as the case where you have a very thin inner inner conductor (of radius "a" )down the center carrying the entire current, I think you would find there is a magnetic current at the boundary where the ## \mu_1 ## material begins that supplies the necessary difference between ## \mu_o \oint H \cdot dl ## and ## \oint B \cdot dl ##.
By magnetic current, I mean "magnetic surface current". In general it is magnetic surface currents (and magnetic currents ## J_b ## ) that cause the magnetic field ## B ## in materials, along with the ## H ## from free currents.

1. What are two coaxial linear magnetic materials?

Two coaxial linear magnetic materials refer to two materials with magnetic properties that are arranged in parallel to one another, such that their magnetic fields are aligned in the same direction. This alignment creates a stronger and more efficient magnetic field.

2. How are two coaxial linear magnetic materials used in scientific research?

These materials are commonly used in various scientific experiments and studies, such as in the development of new technologies and devices, or in the investigation of magnetic properties of materials. They can also be used in medical imaging, data storage, and energy production.

3. What are the benefits of using two coaxial linear magnetic materials?

One of the main benefits of using these materials is their ability to produce a stronger and more focused magnetic field, which can be useful in various applications. They also have high magnetic permeability, which allows them to easily interact with other magnetic materials.

4. Can two coaxial linear magnetic materials be used in everyday products?

Yes, these materials have a wide range of uses and can be found in many everyday products such as speakers, headphones, and electric motors. They are also used in more advanced technologies like MRI machines and particle accelerators.

5. Are there any limitations to using two coaxial linear magnetic materials?

While these materials have many benefits, they also have limitations. They can be expensive to produce and may not be suitable for all applications. Additionally, their magnetic properties can be affected by external factors such as temperature and vibration, which can impact their performance.