1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Coaxial Linear Magnetic Materials

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a two-layered cylindrical wire with inner-layer permeability μ1 and outer-layer permeability μ2. A line current I runs through the center in the z direction. Calculate the bound currents and the magnetic field produced by the bound currents.

2. Relevant equations

[1] ∫ B⋅dl = Iμ0
    [2] ∫ H⋅dl = Ifree
    [3] B = μ0 (H+M)
    [4] B = μH
    [5] Jb = ∇x M
    [6] Kb = M x n

3. The attempt at a solution

Using equation 2 and symmetry, I come up with
    H = I/(2πs)

Using equation 4, I found the inner and outer material B fields. These point in the φ direction.
    B=Iμ1/(2πs) in the inner material
    B=Iμ2/(2πs) in the outer material.

Plugging B and H into equation 3, I found the inner and outer material M fields. These point in the φ direction.
    M= I(μ10 - 1) / (2πs) in the inner material
    M= I(μ20 - 1) / (2πs) in the outer material

Plugging M into equation 5, I calculate that Jb = 0 in both the inner and outer material.

I expected some bound volume current, so this result is strange to me. If there is no bound volume current and I draw an amperian loop within the inner material, the enclosed total current must be equal to I. If that's the case, I should be able to use equation 1 to find that
    B = Iμ0/(2πs)
    but I already calculated a different inner B field above.

How can I reconcile the different B values in this inner material?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

For a little bit, it seemed you had found a case where ## \oint M \cdot dl ## is non-zero and where ## \nabla \times M=0 ##. The ## I_{free} ## is uniformly distributed through the ## \mu_1 ## material. Thereby, the current enclosed in your ## B \cdot dl ## loop and ## H \cdot dl ## loop is proportional to ## r^2 ## and thereby you will not have a vanishing curl and you will get a finite ## J_b ##. ## \\ ## If you did work the problem as the case where you have a very thin inner inner conductor (of radius "a" )down the center carrying the entire current, I think you would find there is a magnetic current at the boundary where the ## \mu_1 ## material begins that supplies the necessary difference between ## \mu_o \oint H \cdot dl ## and ## \oint B \cdot dl ##.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

By magnetic current, I mean "magnetic surface current". In general it is magnetic surface currents (and magnetic currents ## J_b ## ) that cause the magnetic field ## B ## in materials, along with the ## H ## from free currents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted