• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Toroid with Air Gap magnetostatics problem

Homework Statement

consider a toroidal electromagnet with an iron ring threaded through the turns of wire. The ring is not complete and has a narrow parallel-sided air gap of thickness d. The iron has a constant magnetization of magnitude M in the azimuthal direction. Use Ampere's law in terms of the magnetic field vector H, along with the boundary conditions on B and H at the interface, to show that the magnitude of the field H within the iron at a distance r from the centre of the ring is given by
Hiron=(NI-Md)/2πr[/B]

Homework Equations

B=μ0(M+H)
- Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have calculated the B field in the closed toroid which would be, using Ampere's integral law: B=μ0ΝΙ/2πr.

Based on that plus the fact that Bair⊥=Biron⊥, we assume that for the air the B is the same. Thus, I equated
B=μ0(M+H)→(B-μ0M)/μ0=H→H=(NI-M)/2πr

This is clearly not the correct answer so I would appreciate it if you could please show me how to reach the correct answer.

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You need another form of Ampere's law which is ## \oint H \cdot dl=NI ##. The ## H ## is not continuous though in this problem, while the ## B ## is assumed to be continuous. ## H ## will take on a different value in the air gap=call that ## H_1(r) ##, and ## H_2(r) ## will be the value in the iron. Expressing the continuity of ## B ## at a distance ## r ## from the center: ##B(r)=\mu_o H_1(r)=\mu_o (H_2(r)+M) ##. ## \\ ## Next, write ## \oint H(r) \cdot dl =NI ## in terms of ## H_1(r) ## and ##H_2(r) ##, and then with just ##H_2(r) ## by substituting in for ##H_1(r) ##. With these hints, you should be able to complete it, by solving for ## H_2(r) ##. ## \\## Note: The standard form of Ampere's law is ## \oint B \cdot dl=\mu_o I_{total} ## where ## I_{total}=I_{conductors}+I_{m} ##, where ## I_{m} ## is from magnetic currents and magnetic surface currents. The ## I_m ## requires extra computation, and it is far simpler to just use ## \oint H \cdot dl=I_{conductors}=NI ##.

Last edited:
You need another form of Ampere's law which is ## \oint H \cdot dl=NI ##. The ## H ## is not continuous though in this problem, while the ## B ## is assumed to be continuous. ## H ## will take on a different value in the air gap=call that ## H_1(r) ##, and ## H_2(r) ## will be the value in the iron. Expressing the continuity of ## B ## at a distance ## r ## from the center: ##B(r)=\mu_o H_1(r)=\mu_o (H_2(r)+M) ##. ## \\ ## Next, write ## \oint H(r) \cdot dl =NI ## in terms of ## H_1(r) ## and ##H_2(r) ##, and then with just ##H_2(r) ## by substituting in for ##H_1(r) ##. With these hints, you should be able to complete it, by solving for ## H_2(r) ##. ## \\## Note: The standard form of Ampere's law is ## \oint B \cdot dl=\mu_o I_{total} ## where ## I_{total}=I_{conductors}+I_{m} ##, where ## I_{m} ## is from magnetic currents and magnetic surface currents. The ## I_m ## requires extra computation, and it is far simpler to just use ## \oint H \cdot dl=I_{conductors}=NI ##.
Thank you!!

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I should point out, in the pole theory of magnetism, there is a good reason for the discontinuity in ## H ##. Magnetic pole density ## \rho_m ## is given by ## \rho_m= -\nabla \cdot M=\nabla \cdot H ##. This makes a magnetic surface charge density on the end faces at the gap given by ## \sigma_m =\vec{M} \cdot \hat{n} ## which are sources of ## H ## that result in this discontinuity. The calculation can also be done with this surface charge density ## \sigma_m ## and Gauss's law, but using Ampere's law in the modified form, and simply assuming an ## H_1(r) ## and an ## H_2(r) ## allowed us to sidestep this calculation, which would be found to be in complete agreement.