How Do Constraints and Graphs Relate to Concentric Circles?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the constraints on the two concentric circles with radii x and y (where y > x) can be described by the system of inequalities y > x, x > 0, and pi(y^2 - x^2) >= 10. The area between the circles is at least 10 square units, which can be represented by the inequality pi(y^2 - x^2) >= 10. The graph of the line in relation to the boundary of the inequality is a hyperbola with axes along the coordinate axes and vertices at (±√(10/π
mathland
Two concentric circles have radii x and y, where y > x. The area between the circles is at least 10 square units.

(a) Write a system of inequalities that describes the constraints on the circles.

What does the word CONSTRAINTS mean here?

(b) Identify the graph of the line in relation to the boundary of the inequality. Explain its meaning in
the context of the problem.

What exactly is part (b) asking for?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A constraint is a restriction on the equation or the values given. For example, we can constrain the graph of \(\displaystyle y = x^2\), which normally acts on all real numbers x, to just be for all x > 0.

If you are up on function notation, \(\displaystyle y = x^2\) is the set \(\displaystyle \{ y(x) = x^2 | x \in \mathbb{R} \}\). Everything after the | is some kind of constraint.

-Dan

topsquark said:
A constraint is a restriction on the equation or the values given. For example, we can constrain the graph of \(\displaystyle y = x^2\), which normally acts on all real numbers x, to just be for all x > 0.

If you are up on function notation, \(\displaystyle y = x^2\) is the set \(\displaystyle \{ y(x) = x^2 | x \in \mathbb{R} \}\). Everything after the | is some kind of constraint.

-Dan

Let me work on this a bit more.

Two concentric circles have radii x and y with y> x. Do you know what "concentric" means? What is the area of the circle with radius x? What is the area of the circle with radius y? What is the area of the region between the circles?

Country Boy said:
Two concentric circles have radii x and y with y> x. Do you know what "concentric" means? What is the area of the circle with radius x? What is the area of the circle with radius y? What is the area of the region between the circles?

a) y > x;

x > 0;

pi(y^2 - x^2) >= 10.

(b) No idea what is being requested.

You quoted my questions but didn't actually answer them.
I presume you mean that you do know that "concentric circles" are circles that have the same center and so one, the one with the smaller radius, is inside the other.

A circle with radius "x" has area $\pi x^2$, a circle with radius "y" has area $\pi y^2$ and, since y> x, the area between them is $\pi y^2- \pi x^2= \pi(y^2- x^2)$. We are told that the area between the two circles is "at least 10 square units" so the "constraint" is, as you say, $\pi(y^2-x^2)\ge 10$.

(b) Identify the graph of the line in relation to the boundary of the inequality. Explain its meaning in
the context of the problem.
I am not sure what "line" this is asking about. The best I can do is say that the graph of $\pi(x^2- y^2)= 10$, or $x^2- y^2= \frac{10}{\pi}$ is a hyperbola with axes along the coordinate axes and vertices at $\left(\pm\sqrt{\frac{10}{\pi}}, 0\right)$. The inequality $\pi(x^2- y^2)\ge 10$ is satisfied to the right and left of that hyperbola so the hyperbola itself is the boundary.
("Identify the graph of the line in relation to the boundary of the inequality" sees to me awkward English grammar. I would have said "identify the graph forming the boundary of the inequality". Also the use of the word "line" makes me wonder if they do not mean the asymptotes of the hyperbola, the lines y= x and y= -x, but that seems unlikely. )

Country Boy said:
I presume you mean that you do know that "concentric circles" are circles that have the same center and so one, the one with the smaller radius, is inside the other.

A circle with radius "x" has area $\pi x^2$, a circle with radius "y" has area $\pi y^2$ and, since y> x, the area between them is $\pi y^2- \pi x^2= \pi(y^2- x^2)$. We are told that the area between the two circles is "at least 10 square units" so the "constraint" is, as you say, $\pi(y^2-x^2)\ge 10$.I am not sure what "line" this is asking about. The best I can do is say that the graph of $\pi(x^2- y^2)= 10$, or $x^2- y^2= \frac{10}{\pi}$ is a hyperbola with axes along the coordinate axes and vertices at $\left(\pm\sqrt{\frac{10}{\pi}}, 0\right)$. The inequality $\pi(x^2- y^2)\ge 10$ is satisfied to the right and left of that hyperbola so the hyperbola itself is the boundary.
("Identify the graph of the line in relation to the boundary of the inequality" sees to me awkward English grammar. I would have said "identify the graph forming the boundary of the inequality". Also the use of the word "line" makes me wonder if they do not mean the asymptotes of the hyperbola, the lines y= x and y= -x, but that seems unlikely. )

Concentric circles are circles within circles.

Country Boy said:

A circle with radius "x" has area $\pi x^2$, a circle with radius "y" has area $\pi y^2$ and, since y> x, the area between them is $\pi y^2- \pi x^2= \pi(y^2- x^2)$. We are told that the area between the two circles is "at least 10 square units" so the "constraint" is, as you say, $\pi(y^2-x^2)\ge 10$.I am not sure what "line" this is asking about. The best I can do is say that the graph of $\pi(x^2- y^2)= 10$, or $x^2- y^2= \frac{10}{\pi}$ is a hyperbola with axes along the coordinate axes and vertices at $\left(\pm\sqrt{\frac{10}{\pi}}, 0\right)$. The inequality $\pi(x^2- y^2)\ge 10$ is satisfied to the right and left of that hyperbola so the hyperbola itself is the boundary.

You said:

"Identify the graph of the line in relation to the boundary of the inequality" sees to me awkward English grammar. I would have said "identify the graph forming the boundary of the inequality". Also the use of the word "line" makes me wonder if they do not mean the asymptotes of the hyperbola, the lines y= x and y= -x, but that seems unlikely."

The English found in most math and physics textbooks is awkward in so many ways. In fact, this is the main reason why I struggle with applications.

mathland said:
Concentric circles are circles within circles.
No, not all "circles within circles" are concentric. Concentric circle are circles that have the same center. It follows that one is inside the other. The circle $(x- 1)^2+ y^2= 1$ is "within" $x^2+ y^2= 9$ but they are not "concentric".

1. What is a concentric circle?

A concentric circle is a geometric figure consisting of two or more circles with a common center point. The circles have the same center but different radii, creating a series of nested circles.

2. How are concentric circles used in science?

Concentric circles are commonly used in science to represent different levels or layers of a system. They can also be used to visualize patterns and relationships between variables in data analysis.

3. What is the equation for finding the area of a concentric circle?

The equation for finding the area of a concentric circle is A = π(r2 - R2), where r is the radius of the smaller circle and R is the radius of the larger circle.

4. How do concentric circles relate to the concept of symmetry?

Concentric circles exhibit radial symmetry, meaning that they have multiple lines of symmetry passing through the center point. This is because all points on the circle are equidistant from the center, creating a balanced and symmetrical shape.

5. Can concentric circles occur naturally?

Yes, concentric circles can occur naturally in various phenomena such as tree rings, ripples in water, and geological formations. They can also be observed in natural patterns and structures, such as the arrangement of petals in a flower or the growth rings of a tree.