1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two coupled harmonic oscillator, damping each other

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    The problem is:
    Two damped harmonic oscillator are coupled. Both oscillators has same natural frequency [tex]\omega_0[/tex] and damping constant [tex]\beta[/tex].
    1st oscillator is damped by 2nd oscillator. Damping force is proportional to velocity of 2nd oscillator. And, vice versa, 2nd oscillator is damped by 1st oscillator, by a force proportional to velocity of 1st oscillator.
    Find the positions (of both oscillator) as a function of time.

I started with this:

[tex]\ddot{x_1} + \frac{\beta}{m}\dot{x_2} + \omega_0^2(x_1-x_2) = 0[/tex] !!! EDITED !!!
    [tex]\ddot{x_2} + \frac{\beta}{m}\dot{x_1} + \omega_0^2(x_2- x_1) = 0[/tex]

Is that O.K. ? If answer is yes ... what is the next step ? I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me just a hint !

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    Addition and subtraction of the two eqs is a standard practice. This doesn't seem to work here. Check the last term of your eqs - why do you have omega*(x2-x1) in both eqs ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    Ouch ! Mea culpa ! Must be omega*(x1-x2) in first eq !!!

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    Do I need to supstitute [tex]x_n[/tex], with standard eq for harmonic oscillator ( [tex]A_n\cos(\omega_n t+\phi_n)[/tex]), before addition and substraction ?

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    I don't think so.

Adding and subtracting will give you independent equations in two new variables, X1 = x1 + x2 and X2 = x1 - x2. Try to solve these now in X1 and X2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook