1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two distinguishable particles in a box.

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to determine the number of energy states two free, distinguishable particles in a box of length L have. I would then like to determine the number of states two free, indistinguishable particles, with spin 3/2 each, have in that box at the elementary level. Finally, determine the number of states in case these two particles with spin 3/2 each are distinguishable.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am familiar with the following formula for the energy states
    En=(hbar)2π2n2/(2mL2)
    but am not sure how to proceed. If the particles are distinguishable, does that entail that one is a fermion whereas the other is a boson? I am not sure.
    Furthermore, if the two particles have spin 3/2 each, that means they are both fermions, right? If that is correct, then, due to Pauli's exclusion principle, the two could not be at the same state. I also know that for spin 3/2 there could be 4 particles per energy level. But again I am not sure how to coherently process the given data and would appreciate some guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2014 #2
    In case the spin of each particle is 3/2, would the number of energy states be 4!/(2!2!) for indistinguishable particles and 4!2! for distinguishable particles? (at the elementary level)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted