1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No. of spinless particles in the left half of a box

1. Nov 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-11-9_17-33-44.png
    How to solve question no. 35?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the particle is spinless, spin = 0 , this means that the particle is a boson.
    Applying Bose - Einstein distribution function,
    ## f(E) = \frac1 { e^{\beta ( E - \mu)} -1}##
    I can get the value of ##\beta ## and ##\mu## [as this distribution function tells us the no. of particles having the energy E of a given system.
    Since I have LHS for two given values of E, I have 2 eqns. and hence I can determine ##\beta ## and ##\mu## .
    Now, what to do?
    How to connect this with the given information in question?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You have a system with a fixed energy, not a fixed temperature, hence to BE distribution does not apply. Start by considering the eigenstates of a particle in a box.

4. Nov 9, 2017 #3
    The eigen energy of a particle in a box is
    ## E_n = \frac{ n^2 h^2}{2 m a^2} = n^2 \epsilon_0##
    This gives that the particles are in the states n =2,15.
    Do I have to calculate the probability of getting a particle with energy ## E_2 ~ and~ E_{15}## each in the left half region and then I will multiply the probabililty with 1000 and add the two no.?

5. Nov 9, 2017 #4

DrClaude

Basically yes, assuming that the observation time is chosen randomly (or consider the result "on average").

6. Nov 9, 2017 #5
    I didn't get the assumption. Why do we need the assuption?

7. Nov 9, 2017 #6

DrClaude

Because a superposition of stationary states of different energies is not itself a stationary state. The particles will be sloshing from left to right.

8. Dec 5, 2017 #7
    i calculated the probability of finding a particle on the left half of the box, and it is always 1/2 for a stationary state, for all n..
    so, for the particles with energy 4e, the no of particles on the left half 100/2 = 50, for 225e, 900/2 = 450, total 500..

best of luck for the TIFR GS btw..

9. Dec 5, 2017 #8
    Thanks.

10. Dec 5, 2017 #9
    Is the probability of finding the particle between ## x_i and x_f ## for 1 D box ##\frac { x_f - x_i} { L} ##, where L is the length of the box?

I am not caclculating it. I just want to see it this way if it is so.

11. Dec 6, 2017 #10
    I don't know the closed way to represent the probability, what I did was integration of psi* multiplied by psi with the limit - L to 0,where psi is the normalized wavefunction of 1d potential box.. 2L is the length of the box..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted