No. of spinless particles in the left half of a box

In summary, the person is trying to solve question no. 35 and is trying to connect it with the given information in question. They are also trying to calculate the probability of finding a particle between x_i and x_f for 1 D box.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-9_17-33-44.png

How to solve question no. 35?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the particle is spinless, spin = 0 , this means that the particle is a boson.
Applying Bose - Einstein distribution function,
## f(E) = \frac1 { e^{\beta ( E - \mu)} -1}##
I can get the value of ##\beta ## and ##\mu## [as this distribution function tells us the no. of particles having the energy E of a given system.
Since I have LHS for two given values of E, I have 2 eqns. and hence I can determine ##\beta ## and ##\mu## .
Now, what to do?
How to connect this with the given information in question?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_17-33-44.png
    upload_2017-11-9_17-33-44.png
    28 KB · Views: 874
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Applying Bose - Einstein distribution function,
## f(E) = \frac1 { e^{\beta ( E - \mu)} -1}##
You have a system with a fixed energy, not a fixed temperature, hence to BE distribution does not apply. Start by considering the eigenstates of a particle in a box.

DrClaude said:
You have a system with a fixed energy, not a fixed temperature, hence to BE distribution does not apply. Start by considering the eigenstates of a particle in a box.
The eigen energy of a particle in a box is
## E_n = \frac{ n^2 h^2}{2 m a^2} = n^2 \epsilon_0##
This gives that the particles are in the states n =2,15.
Do I have to calculate the probability of getting a particle with energy ## E_2 ~ and~ E_{15}## each in the left half region and then I will multiply the probabililty with 1000 and add the two no.?

Pushoam said:
Do I have to calculate the probability of getting a particle with energy ## E_2 ~ and~ E_{15}## each in the left half region and then I will multiply the probabililty with 1000 and add the two no.?
Basically yes, assuming that the observation time is chosen randomly (or consider the result "on average").

DrClaude said:
Basically yes, assuming that the observation time is chosen randomly (or consider the result "on average").
I didn't get the assumption. Why do we need the assuption?

Pushoam said:
I didn't get the assumption. Why do we need the assuption?
Because a superposition of stationary states of different energies is not itself a stationary state. The particles will be sloshing from left to right.

i calculated the probability of finding a particle on the left half of the box, and it is always 1/2 for a stationary state, for all n..
so, for the particles with energy 4e, the no of particles on the left half 100/2 = 50, for 225e, 900/2 = 450, total 500..

best of luck for the TIFR GS btw..

Likes Pushoam
Thanks.

sayakd said:
i calculated the probability of finding a particle on the left half of the box, and it is always 1/2 for a stationary state, for all n..
Is the probability of finding the particle between ## x_i and x_f ## for 1 D box ##\frac { x_f - x_i} { L} ##, where L is the length of the box?

I am not caclculating it. I just want to see it this way if it is so.

I don't know the closed way to represent the probability, what I did was integration of psi* multiplied by psi with the limit - L to 0,where psi is the normalized wavefunction of 1d potential box.. 2L is the length of the box..

Likes Pushoam

1. How do you determine the number of spinless particles in the left half of a box?

The number of spinless particles in the left half of a box is determined by counting the total number of particles in the box and dividing it by two. This assumes that the particles are evenly distributed throughout the box.

2. What is the significance of spinless particles in a box?

Spinless particles refer to particles that do not possess any intrinsic angular momentum, or spin. This concept is often used in quantum mechanics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of particles in a system.

3. Can the number of spinless particles in the left half of a box change over time?

Yes, the number of spinless particles in the left half of a box can change over time. This can occur through processes such as diffusion or reactions between particles.

4. How does the size of the box affect the number of spinless particles in the left half?

The size of the box can affect the number of spinless particles in the left half by changing the total number of particles in the box. However, as long as the particles are evenly distributed, the proportion of spinless particles in the left half should remain the same.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the number of spinless particles in the left half of a box?

Other factors that can influence the number of spinless particles in the left half of a box include external forces or interactions between particles. These can change the distribution of particles and therefore the number of spinless particles in the left half.