Two equations for centripetal acceleration

In summary, the two equations explain how centripetal acceleration is related to radius and velocity. The first equation states that if you keep the velocity constant, the bigger the radius, the slower the object will move. The second equation states that if you keep the period (T) constant, the bigger the radius, the bigger the velocity.
AARMA
My question is how can Ac (centripetal acceleration) be both inversely related to radius and directly related in two equations:
1) Ac = V2/r
2) Ac = 4pi2r/T2
In the first equation Ac is inversely proportional to radius in the second one Ac is directly proportional to radius. Why and how is that so?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is inversely proportional to r for constant v and directly proportional to r for constant T.

Dadface
Can you please elaborate on that explanation.. can you go more in depth, I really want to understand.

Yet another expression is a=rω2, from which your second expression arises, AARMA. Another expression related to this expression for acceleration is that for velocity, v=rω. Thus v2=r2ω2. Dividing by r yields rω2, the equation for acceleration.

Do you know the equation for the arc length, when you know the radius and the angle tended by the arc?

[itex] S = r \theta [/itex]

If you take the time derviative of this, you get [itex] v = r \omega [/itex]
When you substitute this into the the equation for centripetal acceleration then you get
[itex] a = \omega^2 r [/itex]

When [itex] \omega [/itex] is constant, then you can use the definition [itex] \omega = \frac{2 \pi }{T} [/itex]
which gives you the equation you wanted when you substitute in.

Last edited:
Hello AARMA,in each of the two equations you presented there are two possible variables r being one of the variables and featuring in both equations.In the first equation the other possible variable is v and A is inversely proportional to r but only if v does not vary and is constant.In the second equation T is the second variable and A is directly proportional to r but only if T is constant.There are other ways to express the equation as shown by DH.

Hi AARMA, you might find it instructive to find the relationship between v and T. If that relationship depends on r then it makes sense that the power of r would change in the two expressions. In fact, once you have the relationship between v and T you should be able to substitute it into one of the above expressions and get the other.

Thank you for the help. This is what I wrote for my extra credit on a test and got only +1

The reason why centripetal acceleration (Ac) is inversely related to radius (r) in the equation:
Ac = V2/r and directly related to the radius in the equation: Ac = 4pi2r/T2 is because in the first equation if you keep the velocity constant the bigger the radius the slower the object is going to move and the smaller the centripetal acceleration is going to be because that object is going to change its direction at a slower rate.
On the other hand, in the second equation if the period (T) is kept constant then the bigger the radius the bigger the velocity is going to get and thus the bigger the centripetal acceleration.
I couldn't use the angular velocity explanation because we learned nothing of that concept so I just tried explaining it in simple terms. Can you tell me what could have I added to this explanation to make it better?

What is centripetal acceleration and how is it calculated?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are the two equations for centripetal acceleration?

The two equations for centripetal acceleration are a = v^2/r and a = ω^2r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, ω is the angular velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How do these equations differ?

The first equation, a = v^2/r, is used when the velocity of the object is known, while the second equation, a = ω^2r, is used when the angular velocity of the object is known. They both give the same value for centripetal acceleration, but are used in different situations.

What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to centripetal force. This means that as the centripetal acceleration increases, the centripetal force required to maintain the circular motion also increases. This relationship is described by the equation a = F/m, where F is the centripetal force and m is the mass of the object.

How is centripetal acceleration related to uniform circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is a necessary component of uniform circular motion. Without centripetal acceleration, an object would not be able to maintain a constant speed along a circular path and would instead fly off in a straight line. Centripetal acceleration keeps the object constantly changing direction, thus maintaining its circular motion.