Two ferromagnetic balls, rolling down a ruler

In summary, the balls will stop before they reach the magnet because the electric fields in the two balls are causing them to polarize and attract each other.
Saketh
Here's the situation:

We have a ruler, inclined slightly with a strong ceramic magnet at the end. Now, we put two identical ferromagnetic (steel, for example) balls on the top of the ramp, touching each other. We let the balls roll down the ramp, and, perhaps against intuition, the balls stop before touching the magnet.

I'm trying to figure out why this is, but I am not sure what's causing the forces in the end. Are the induced magnetic fields polarizing the balls in a certain way? I have a grasp of what's going on, but the conceptual details are escaping me.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is induced EMF, the ball wouldn't stop completely, since if it does stop completely, there will no longer be any EMF, and gravity will pull the ball down.So, it shouldn't be just induced EMF... other than that, I'm clueless as well.

Last edited:
I thought so as well, but then I thought that maybe the induced magnetic field is sufficiently strong to magnetize the balls, which would create permanent dipoles.

I'm still not sure, though.

I am assuming that the balls are rolling down the ruler at the same time and are in a single file line.

In the above situtation what happens is as the balls roll down the slightly inclined ramp the approach the magnet. The closer the balls get to the magnet the stronger the polarization of the steel balls. As the balls polarize they then attract one another. Once the two balls are attracted strongly enough they balls essentially become one object looking very much like a peanut, which as you might guess does not roll down hill end over end.

I'm not sure if it's relevant to here but if you have a round and uniform magnetic bowl then if you drop a ferromagnetic ball into it the ball will hover in the air. the reason for this is that the magnetic field of the bowl create eddy currents on the surface of the ball which in turn create magnetic fields which push the ball out of the bowl.

I believe quinn have provided a good explanation, if the interpretation of the set-up is correct.
daniel_i_l said:
I'm not sure if it's relevant to here but if you have a round and uniform magnetic bowl then if you drop a ferromagnetic ball into it the ball will hover in the air. the reason for this is that the magnetic field of the bowl create eddy currents on the surface of the ball which in turn create magnetic fields which push the ball out of the bowl.
How do Eddy currents provide anything more than a damping force? You are claiming they provide a restoring force. You will then need to address the point raised by tim above: when the ball is hovering above the cup (i.e., stationary), there should be no induced eddy current, and hence no upward force on the ball.

quinn said:
I am assuming that the balls are rolling down the ruler at the same time and are in a single file line.

In the above situtation what happens is as the balls roll down the slightly inclined ramp the approach the magnet. The closer the balls get to the magnet the stronger the polarization of the steel balls. As the balls polarize they then attract one another. Once the two balls are attracted strongly enough they balls essentially become one object looking very much like a peanut, which as you might guess does not roll down hill end over end.
Your assumptions of the system are correct.

Here's what I thought -- is this correct?

Induced currents in the balls will polarize one of the balls. This induced magnetic field in the one ball will induce a current and an opposite magnetic field in the other ball. The balls will magnetize with opposite dipoles -- thus they will attract each other.

Gokul43201 said:
How do Eddy currents provide anything more than a damping force? You are claiming they provide a restoring force. You will then need to address the point raised by tim above: when the ball is hovering above the cup (i.e., stationary), there should be no induced eddy current, and hence no upward force on the ball.
Your're right - but if the balls are superconductive then the eddy currents caused initially will continue for ever.

quinn: are you assuming that there's enough friction so that the balls can't slide without rolling?

1. What are ferromagnetic balls?

Ferromagnetic balls are objects that are made of a material that has strong magnetic properties, meaning it can be easily magnetized and maintain its magnetism for a long period of time.

2. How does the ruler affect the rolling of the ferromagnetic balls?

The ruler acts as a slope or incline for the balls to roll down. The angle of the ruler will affect the speed and trajectory of the balls as they roll.

3. Why do the ferromagnetic balls roll down the ruler?

The ferromagnetic balls have a magnetic field that is attracted to the magnetic field of the ruler. This attraction causes the balls to roll down the ruler.

4. What factors can affect the speed of the ferromagnetic balls as they roll down the ruler?

The speed of the balls can be affected by the angle of the ruler, the strength of the magnetic fields, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. Can the experiment with the ferromagnetic balls on a ruler be used to measure magnetic fields?

While this experiment can demonstrate the effects of magnetic fields, it is not an accurate method for measuring magnetic fields. Specialized equipment is needed for precise measurements of magnetic fields.