Two Ice Skaters Force On Each Other

• Thread starter thulling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Ice
In summary, Two skaters of equal mass with arms 0.75 m long spin in a mutual circle every 2.4 s. The equation F=ma was used to calculate the force between them, but the incorrect equation F=G((M one)(M two))/radius squared was initially used. After correcting the equation, the force was calculated to be 3.7*10^-7 N.
thulling
1. On an ice rink, two skaters of equal mass grab hands and spin in a mutual circle once every 2.4 s.
If we assume their arms are each 0.75 m long and their individual masses are 56.0 kg, how hard are they pulling on one another? (answer is F= __N)

2. I thought I should use the equation F= G((M one)(M two))/radius squared
where G=6.67*10^-11 N*(m/kg)squared

3. I attempted to plug in the numbers to this equation and got F=3.7*10^-7
This answer was incorrect.

I know I am given time=2.4s, but I am not sure where to use this. ?

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation you used was for the force of gravity between the skaters. It's not significant here. Try to use F=ma

I got it! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Related to Two Ice Skaters Force On Each Other

1. What is the meaning of "Two Ice Skaters Force On Each Other"?

"Two Ice Skaters Force On Each Other" refers to the concept of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of two ice skaters, it means that when they push against each other with equal force, they will both experience a force in the opposite direction, causing them to move in opposite directions.

2. How does the force between two ice skaters affect their motion?

The force between two ice skaters affects their motion by causing them to move in opposite directions with equal force. This means that if one skater pushes the other with a certain amount of force, they will experience the same amount of force in the opposite direction, causing them to move away from each other.

3. Is the force between two ice skaters always equal?

Yes, according to Newton's Third Law of Motion, the force between two ice skaters will always be equal. This means that if one skater pushes the other with a certain amount of force, they will experience the same amount of force in the opposite direction.

4. Can two ice skaters change their motion without applying a force on each other?

No, according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that for two ice skaters to change their motion, they must apply a force on each other.

5. How does the mass of the ice skaters affect the force between them?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and the acceleration produced. This means that the more massive the ice skaters are, the greater the force they will experience when pushing against each other.