1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice skaters collision with angle

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two ice skaters crash into each other. Before they collide, one of them (50 kg) is skating in a straight line at 5 m/s, the other (40 kg) is skating at 4 m/s in a straight line at 90 degrees to the 50 kg skater’s direction. After the collision, the 50 kg skater is moving at 4 m/s at an angle of 25 degrees relative to their original direction. Calculate the velocity of the 40 kg skater after the collision. Is the total kinetic energy constant?

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1ix+m2v2ix=m1v1fx+m2v2fx
    m1v1iy+m2v2iy=m1v1fy+m2v2fy

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a diagram before collision and after collision. Really, all I need to know is where in the formula(s) would I need to include the angle and I SHOULD be able to figure it out from there.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have v1fx and v1fy in the equations for components of momentum. How do you get them, knowing magnitude and angle of velocity ?

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Is v1fx=(4 m/s)(cos(25°)) and v1fy=(4 m/s)(sin(25°))?

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5
    And then with that information, solve for v2fx and v2fy?

7. Apr 25, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

8. Apr 25, 2016 #7
    And then once I figure out what those two velocities are, I would square them individually and take the square root of the sums? So, sqrt((v2fx)2+(v2fy)2? And that would be the answer for the first question?

9. Apr 25, 2016 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The final velocity is asked. It is a vector with magnitude and direction. I think the problem wants both the magnitude and angle.

10. Apr 25, 2016 #9
    To find the angle, would it be arctan(v2fy/v2fx)?

11. Apr 25, 2016 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

12. Apr 25, 2016 #11
    Alright. I can solve the second subquestion myself. Thank you again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted