1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two packages stacked on one another

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A delivery van has two packages left that are stacked one on top of another. The upper packages
    has a mass of 4.0 kg and is a poorly packaged glass vase, while the lower package has a mass
    6.5 kg. The coefficient of static friction between the two packages is 0.211 and the lower box is
    fixed to the floor of the van. Since the delivery person is late, he has been accelerating quickly
    whenever he has stopped and started (at lights, stop sign etc.), however he never exceeds the
    town's speed limit of 60 km/h. What is the minimum amount of time it takes for him to reach
    his top speed while still keeping the vase from breaking (sliding off the top box).

2. Relevant equations
    friction= coefficient x contact force
    fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    friction = 0.211x 4kg x 9.81
    = 8.24N
    what do i do next?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2
    a hint: for the 4kg box not to slide off of the 6.5kg box it must have the same acceleration as the 6.5kg box, this acceleration is caused by the static friction between the two boxes

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3
    so how can i solve it? if i make two equations, then one can be made for the upper box using f=ma, but what about the other equation?

5. Oct 5, 2014 #4
    find the acceleration using the hint, and then using this acceleration find the time to reach 60 km/h...I hope i'm not giving away too much but to find the acceleration know that:
    [itex] F_{fr top} = (m_{top})(a) = (u_s)(F_{N top}) [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted