Two parallel opposed Co-60 Gamma Ray beams in Excel

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the depth dose for a 6MV beam with a field size of 10x10 cm at 2 cm intervals, with a patient separation of 20cm. The discussion mentions plotting the dose at dmax and 20-dmax, as well as the opposed beam and sum of the depth doses. The data is attached and the individual tried to solve it in excel but got a different graph than expected. They also mention a beam with an odd shape and question why the relative dose starts at 100% at 30 cm. There is also mention of not using the patient separation in their calculations.
Hayool
Hi everyone,
I have this question about POP.

Assume a patient separation of 20cm. Using data for 6MV , FS 10x10 cm, plot the depth dose for one beam at 2 cm intervals. Include on your plot the dose at dmax and the dose at 20-dmax.
On the same graph repeat this for the opposed beam. Now plot the sum of the depth doses on the same graph.
Renormalize this POP distribution to 100% at midplane.
data are attached.

I tried to solve it in excel but the but i got the graph little bit different than what our teacher told us :nb)

Please help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DATA.png
    DATA.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 448
  • POP.png
    POP.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 443
  • DATA.png
    DATA.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 475
  • POP.png
    POP.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Beam 2 has an odd shape.

Independent of that: Why does it start with 100% relative dose at 30 cm?
Hayool said:
Assume a patient separation of 20cm.
Where did you use this?

I did not use that i only used the the data in the table, did not know how to use the separation:frown:

1. How do I create two parallel opposed Co-60 Gamma Ray beams in Excel?

To create two parallel opposed Co-60 Gamma Ray beams in Excel, you will need to use the charting tools and data analysis features. First, input your data for the two beams into two separate data columns. Then, select both columns and create a scatter plot chart. Next, add a trendline to each scatter plot and select the "linear" option. Finally, adjust the slope and intercept of the trendlines to create two parallel lines.

2. Can I adjust the intensity and direction of the beams in Excel?

Yes, you can adjust the intensity and direction of the beams in Excel by changing the data values and adjusting the trendlines on the scatter plot chart. You can also use the "Format Trendline" option to change the line color and style, as well as the data points on the chart.

3. How do I calculate the dose rate at a specific point between the two beams?

To calculate the dose rate at a specific point between the two beams, you will need to use the equation D = I/d^2, where D is the dose rate, I is the intensity of the beam, and d is the distance from the source. You can use the trendline equations in Excel to determine the intensity at the specific point and then plug it into the equation to calculate the dose rate.

4. Can I add more than two beams in Excel?

Yes, you can add more than two beams in Excel by following the same steps as creating two parallel beams. Simply add more data columns and create additional scatter plot charts with trendlines. You can also use the "Add Trendline" option on an existing scatter plot chart to add more trendlines for different beams.

5. How can I use this Excel model for further analysis or experimentation?

You can use this Excel model for further analysis or experimentation by adjusting the data values and trendlines to simulate different scenarios. For example, you can change the intensity or direction of the beams to see how it affects the dose rate at different points. You can also use the model to compare different radiation sources or to analyze the effects of shielding materials.