Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two photon absorption in silicon

1. May 18, 2006 #1
    How does work the two-photon absorption ?

Does it exist a Beer-Lambert law for this kind of process?
    If yes, does someone know where i could find the order of magnitude of two-photons absorption coefficient for silicon at 1500 nm ?

Barth

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2006 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Nonlinear absorption of this sort occurs for very high laser intensities, typically, for the infrared at least, one needs to blast silica with at least a nanojoule femtosecond pulse to observe these effects.

The two-photon absorption in silica at the kind of intensities you are likely to find from a 1500nm source, the TPA would be negligibly small.

Claude.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  4. May 19, 2006 #3
    The source we are using is the "classic" Tsunami-Opal femtosecond line. We then have at 1500nm a relatively high peak intensity, that's why i would like to evaluate two-photon absorptions.

5. May 19, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2 photon absorption coeff in Si : 0.45 cm/GW at 1540 nm

Tsang et al, App Phys Lett, 80, 416 (2001)

6. May 21, 2006 #5
    Thanks a lot

7. May 21, 2006 #6

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Fair enough :blushing: . I never considered 1500 nm to be within your typical window of femtosecond pulse generation, but it appears I was wrong.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?