1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Power / Work / Energy Questions

1. Apr 1, 2006 #1
    Hey there, this is my post so I hope it does not seem like I am just asking for help without me trying to do work too.

Ok, the kinetic energy of a car is 8 x 10^6 J as it travels along a horizontal road. How much work is required to stop the car in 10s? That is the question and I am not sure about how I can solve it with Power and Work.

I know that Work = ΔE so we would have using kinetic energy

W = (1/2)mvf^2 - (1/2)mvo^2
    W = (1/2)m(0m/s)^2 - 8 x 10^6 J
    W = 0 - 8 x 10^6 J
    W = -8 x 10^6 J

Is that just the answer? What is the 10s for? Is it just extraneous information?

Can someone just make sure I am answering this question correct

A 1,500 kg car travels at a constant speed of 22 m/s around a circular track that is 80m across. What is the kinetic energy of the car?

KE = (1/2)(m)(v)^2
    KE = (1/2)(1500kg)(22m/s)^2
    KE = 3.6 x 10^5 J

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2006 #2

Gold Member

For the first question:

[tex]Power = \frac{{Work}}{{Time}}[/tex]

So you know the work, you can implement the time to determine the power.
  4. Apr 1, 2006 #3
    Yes I realise that, however, the question asks for the work required, not the power.
  5. Apr 1, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Well then you have the answer... kinda odd to just basically give you the answer in the question though
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?