Two Power / Work / Energy Questions

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of work required to stop a car traveling at a certain speed, using the formula for kinetic energy. The final answer was -8 x 10^6 J, and the 10s mentioned may be extraneous information. The conversation also briefly mentioned the calculation of kinetic energy for a car traveling at a constant speed on a circular track. The final result was 3.6 x 10^5 J.
JayDub
Hey there, this is my post so I hope it does not seem like I am just asking for help without me trying to do work too.

Ok, the kinetic energy of a car is 8 x 10^6 J as it travels along a horizontal road. How much work is required to stop the car in 10s? That is the question and I am not sure about how I can solve it with Power and Work.

I know that Work = ΔE so we would have using kinetic energy

W = (1/2)mvf^2 - (1/2)mvo^2
W = (1/2)m(0m/s)^2 - 8 x 10^6 J
W = 0 - 8 x 10^6 J
W = -8 x 10^6 J

Is that just the answer? What is the 10s for? Is it just extraneous information?

Can someone just make sure I am answering this question correct

A 1,500 kg car travels at a constant speed of 22 m/s around a circular track that is 80m across. What is the kinetic energy of the car?

KE = (1/2)(m)(v)^2
KE = (1/2)(1500kg)(22m/s)^2
KE = 3.6 x 10^5 J

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question:

[tex]Power = \frac{{Work}}{{Time}}[/tex]

So you know the work, you can implement the time to determine the power.

Yes I realize that, however, the question asks for the work required, not the power.

Well then you have the answer... kinda odd to just basically give you the answer in the question though

What is the difference between power, work, and energy?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. Work is the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. Essentially, power and work are measurements of energy.

How are power, work, and energy related?

Power is directly proportional to both work and energy. This means that as power increases, so does work and energy. Additionally, work and energy are interchangeable, as they both represent the ability to do work or cause change.

What is the unit of measurement for power, work, and energy?

The SI (International System of Units) unit for power is watt (W), for work is joule (J), and for energy is also joule (J). However, in some cases, other units such as horsepower (hp) or foot-pound (ft-lb) may be used for power and work.

How is power calculated?

Power is calculated by dividing work by time. This means that power equals the amount of work done divided by the time it took to do the work. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P represents power, W represents work, and t represents time.

What are some real-life examples of power, work, and energy?

Power can be seen in a light bulb, as it converts electrical energy into light and heat. Work is done when lifting a weight, as force is applied over a distance. Energy can be seen in a battery, as chemical energy is converted into electrical energy. Additionally, power plants use work and energy to generate electricity, which powers our homes and devices.