Power generated by this current source

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchoff's law to find the power generated in a given circuit. The conversation includes calculations and equations to find the voltage and power, with a possible typo initially causing a negative result. The final conclusion is that the answer is indeed negative.
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
In the circuit of the figure knowing that ##V_0=10\, \textrm{V}## determine ##V_S## and the power generated by the source ##J##.

Sol: ##V_S=-4\, \textrm{V}##, ##P_J=60\, \textrm{W}##
Relevant Equations
Kirchoff law
Figure:
23A885B4-BAB7-4136-A8B5-E41AE9D621D3.jpeg

My attempt at a solution:
84508BD0-3987-4E87-9F9A-AA0473393DF2.jpeg

1st kirchoff law:
$$J=2I_0+I_0=6\, \textrm{A}$$
EE6EE0EC-F7AE-4323-82FC-68CD127D6552.jpeg

$$V_1+8=10\rightarrow \boxed{V_1=2}$$
$$V_1=6-V_S\rightarrow \boxed{V_S=-4\, \textrm{V}}$$
We are looking for ##P## generated in ##J##
$$V_J=V_1-2\cdot J=2-2\cdot 6=-10\, \textrm{V}$$
20EBEE76-621B-493E-A2AC-A686ED0D0932.jpeg

$$\boxed{P_{\textrm{gen}}=(V_J-0)J=-10\cdot 6=-60\, \textrm{W}}$$
Wouldn't this exercise do like this? I have tried it but the power is negative.

Attachments

• 73FF17CA-ACF9-47F4-9F37-B1A8EFC75219.jpeg
    73FF17CA-ACF9-47F4-9F37-B1A8EFC75219.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 0CEBF2A5-4724-484F-9EAA-AF8C12256E83.jpeg
    0CEBF2A5-4724-484F-9EAA-AF8C12256E83.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 53
Physics news on Phys.org
Your ##V_1=6-V_S## should be ##V_1=6+V_S##, but it looks like that was just a typo.
The rest looks right. I would not rule out the possibility that the answer is negative.

haruspex said:
Your ##V_1=6-V_S## should be ##V_1=6+V_S##, but it looks like that was just a typo.
The rest looks right. I would not rule out the possibility that the answer is negative.
Is it negative?

Guillem_dlc said:
Is it negative?
As I wrote, your working looks fine, apart from that typo. So unless I am missing something the answer is negative.

Likes Guillem_dlc

1. How is power generated by a current source?

Power is generated by a current source through the flow of electric charge. As the current flows through a circuit, it creates a potential difference, which is the force that drives the flow of electrons. This flow of electrons is what generates the power.

2. What factors affect the power generated by a current source?

The power generated by a current source is affected by the strength of the current, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage of the source. These factors are related through Ohm's Law, which states that power is equal to the product of current and voltage, or P = IV.

3. How is the power generated by a current source measured?

The power generated by a current source is measured in watts (W). This unit is a measure of the rate at which energy is being transferred or used. It can be calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current, or by using a wattmeter to directly measure the power in a circuit.

4. Can the power generated by a current source be increased?

Yes, the power generated by a current source can be increased by increasing the current or the voltage. However, this must be done within the limits of the source and the circuit components to avoid damage. It is also important to consider the efficiency of the circuit, as increasing power may also result in increased energy loss.

5. What are some real-world applications of power generated by a current source?

The power generated by a current source has many practical applications, such as powering electronic devices, lighting homes and buildings, and operating motors and generators. It is also used in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to generate electricity for homes and businesses.