Two questions, one on harmonic functions

In summary: Question 1: with a little of patience You can derive the C-R equations in polar coordinates...$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}} = \frac{1}{r}\ \frac {\partial {v}}{\partial{\theta}} $$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{r}} = - \frac{1}{r}\ \frac {\partial {u}}{\partial{\theta}} \ (1)$Here $\displaystyle u(r, \theta) = \ln r^{2}$ and $v(r, \theta) = 2\ \theta$, so that is...
nacho-man
Could I get some hints on how to evaluate these question.
The question asking to find where $f(re^{i\theta})$ is differentiable doesn't seem to involved,
however would I use C-R equations, or would it just be for wherever $r \neq 0$. Although that is given in the domain, so I'm assuming they want us to use C-R equations.
If i were to use C-R equations, then I would have to convert to cartesian coordinates, correct?
How would I do that.As for the second question,
could I get any hints on what theorems may be relevant. I am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks

Attachments

• q2.png
    q2.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 81
  • q1.png
    q1.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 83
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first question you are asked to find the domain of differentiability of the function

\(\displaystyle f(z)=\log(z^2) \)

Hint : choose a suitable branch cut .

nacho said:
The question asking to find where $f(re^{i\theta})$ is differentiable doesn't seem to involved,
however would I use C-R equations, or would it just be for wherever $r \neq 0$. Although that is given in the domain, so I'm assuming they want us to use C-R equations.
If i were to use C-R equations, then I would have to convert to cartesian coordinates, correct?
could I get any hints on what theorems may be relevant. I am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks

Question 1: with a little of patience You can derive the C-R equations in polar coordinates...

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}} = \frac{1}{r}\ \frac {\partial {v}}{\partial{\theta}} $

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{r}} = - \frac{1}{r}\ \frac {\partial {u}}{\partial{\theta}} \ (1)$

Here $\displaystyle u(r, \theta) = \ln r^{2}$ and $v(r, \theta) = 2\ \theta$, so that is...

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}} = \frac{2}{r},\ \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{\theta}} = 0,\ \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{r}} = 0,\ \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{\theta}} = 2$ so that the (1) are satisfied everywhere with the only exception of the point r = 0... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

nacho said:

Thanks

Question 2: a function u(x,y) is said to be harmonic if its second derivatives are continuous and is...

$\displaystyle u_{xx} = - u_{yy}\ (1)$

An important theorem extablishes that if u is harmonic in a simply connected domain G, then it exist a function v(x,y) so that f(x + i y) = u(x,y) + i v(x,y) is analytic in G [v is said to be the harmonic coniugate of u...].

If we suppose that G is a disk centered in w with radious r and call $\gamma$ its contour, the the Cauchy Integral Formula extablishes that...

$\displaystyle f(w) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f (z)}{z - w}\ d z\ (2)$

With the substitution $z - w = r\ e^{i\ \theta}$ the (2) becomes... $\displaystyle f(w) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi}\ \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} f(w + r\ e^{i\ \theta})\ d \theta\ (3)$

... and, taking the real part of f we have...

$\displaystyle u(w) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi}\ \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} u (w + r\ e^{i\ \theta})\ d \theta\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

for your questions! It looks like you are on the right track for the first question. Yes, you would use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to determine where $f(re^{i\theta})$ is differentiable. Remember that the Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary conditions for complex differentiability, so if they are satisfied, then the function is differentiable at that point. You are correct that you would need to convert to Cartesian coordinates to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. To do this, you can use the identity $e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta$ and then substitute this into the given function. From there, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to determine where the function is differentiable.

For the second question, it would be helpful to know what the specific question is asking for. However, some relevant theorems for harmonic functions include the Mean Value Property, the Maximum Modulus Principle, and the Cauchy Integral Theorem. It may also be helpful to consider the definition of a harmonic function and think about how it relates to these theorems. Good luck with your evaluations!

1. What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a mathematical function that satisfies the Laplace's equation, which means that the function's second-order partial derivatives are equal to zero. This means that the function has a constant rate of change and is often used to model physical phenomena such as heat distribution, fluid flow, and electrical potential.

2. How do you solve for harmonic functions?

To solve for harmonic functions, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, Green's functions, or Fourier series. Depending on the specific problem, different techniques may be more appropriate. It is also important to have a good understanding of boundary conditions and the geometry of the problem.

3. What are some real-life applications of harmonic functions?

Harmonic functions have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include the modeling of temperature distribution in a heated object, the flow of fluids in a pipe, and the distribution of electrical potential in a circuit. They are also used in signal processing, image and sound processing, and financial analysis.

4. Can a function be both harmonic and non-harmonic?

No, a function cannot be both harmonic and non-harmonic. A function is considered harmonic if it satisfies the Laplace's equation, while a non-harmonic function does not satisfy this equation. It is possible for a function to satisfy the Laplace's equation in some regions and not in others, making it non-harmonic in those regions.

5. What is the difference between a harmonic function and a non-harmonic function?

The main difference between a harmonic function and a non-harmonic function is that a harmonic function satisfies the Laplace's equation, while a non-harmonic function does not. This means that a harmonic function has a constant rate of change, while a non-harmonic function does not. Additionally, harmonic functions have many useful properties, such as the mean value property and maximum principle, which non-harmonic functions do not have.