Find a harmonic function with imposed restrictions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding harmonic functions based on given conditions. One method is to use an Ansatz with a term involving ##z^2## and the imaginary part can be used to satisfy the boundary conditions. There may be a more general approach using this hint. The conversation also mentions another example with a solution involving ##sin(4\theta)##, which can be obtained using ##Im(z^4)##. However, there may be a better method to approach this type of problem.
TheCanadian
I am trying to find a harmonic function based on the conditions imposed in the images. I see how one can make an Ansatz that ## \phi(x,y) = xy + \psi(x,y)## and can arrive at the solution given by ensuring the function satisfies the given conditions. But is there a more systematic method to solving these types of questions? In the hint, it says to use ##z^2## and it may be clear that ##z^2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2ixy##, and that the imaginary part recovers a form similar to the boundary conditions, but is there something more general one can do with this hint?

Any suggestions on how to approach problems of this sort?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 5.17.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 5.17.34 PM.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 5.17.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 5.17.40 PM.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
As another example, I have attached another image. Once again, I can make the educated guess the solution has a term with ##sin(4\theta)## in the solution, but this is simply a guess I am making based on the conditions (i.e. ##\phi = 0## at ##\theta = 0, \frac {\pi}{4}##). The solution says ##\phi(x,y) = Im(z^4) = r^4 sin(4\theta) ##. The ##r^4 sin(4\theta) ## term makes sense to me and I see how it equals ## Im(z^4) ##, but my first guess/answer would not be something of the form ## Im(z^4) ##. Any idea on how to approach this problem with a better method?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 6.04.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 6.04.58 PM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 423

1. Can you explain what a harmonic function is?

A harmonic function is a type of mathematical function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which is a differential equation that describes the behavior of a physical system. In simpler terms, a harmonic function is a function whose value at any point is equal to the average of its values on the surrounding points.

2. What are some common restrictions that can be imposed on a harmonic function?

Some common restrictions that can be imposed on a harmonic function include boundary conditions, where the value of the function is specified at certain points on the boundary of the domain, and initial conditions, where the value and/or derivative of the function is specified at a certain point within the domain.

3. How do you find a harmonic function with imposed restrictions?

To find a harmonic function with imposed restrictions, you can use various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and complex analysis. These methods involve solving the Laplace equation and applying the given restrictions to obtain the desired solution.

4. Why is finding a harmonic function with imposed restrictions important?

Finding a harmonic function with imposed restrictions is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to model and analyze physical systems with complex behavior. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of partial differential equations and has applications in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any real-world examples of harmonic functions with imposed restrictions?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of harmonic functions with imposed restrictions. For instance, in electrical engineering, the voltage distribution in a circuit can be represented by a harmonic function with boundary conditions imposed by the circuit components. In fluid dynamics, the velocity of a fluid flow can be described by a harmonic function with boundary conditions at the boundaries of the flow domain. These are just a few examples, but there are many more in various fields of science and engineering.