1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Radio Transmitters, Interference, and Waves

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

FM station KCOM ("All commercials, all the time") transmit simultaneously, at a frequency of 97.1 MHz, from two broadcast towers placed precisely 32.44 m apart along a north-south line.

(a) What is the wavelength of KCOM's transmissions?

2. Relevant equations

velocity= (wavelength)(frequency)

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't even begin to fathom a way to do this problem. I've tried using the above equation: 343/97.1= 3.53. Which is the wrong answer. I'm not sure how to include the distance between the two transmitters.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Given the frequency, find the wavelength?
    Surely you have a formula relating frequency and wavelength for all waves.

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    Yes, that is in my original posting. That isn't the answer.

This invovles an interference. I'm not sure how the distance between the two transmitters relates.

-----------------------

Edit to my original post: I realize that it is in MHz, and that the math in the first post is wrong. But 3.53E-6 is no where near the correct answer.

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Terribly sorry, I missed reading that! Trying to answer too many questions at the same time I guess.

In your calc L = v/f = "343/97.1= 3.53" you have used the speed of sound instead of the speed of radio waves, throwing your answer off by a large factor. Also, you forgot that the frequency was given in megahertz, so throw in a factor of 10^6 for that.

6. Feb 4, 2009 #5
    Gar!! That's always my problem, using wrong numbers. I'm so sorry for all the trouble! Golly, one day that's really going to mess me up.

Thanks so much for all the help. :)

~Phoenix

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook